HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My name is Jack, and I work with a lead provider.

:censored: Yes, yes, I know, everyone hates the lead industry, especially since it's dominated by Service Magic, who's got some of the worst service out there.

My company (for now, we'd like to remain unnamed) is focused on quality leads, and we've done well in other services, but now we're thinking about getting into providing HVAC leads. From personal experience, though, I know that each field has its own quirks, so I wanted to get some direct feedback from you guys.

If you've used lead providers before, but quit, why? Lead quality sucked, leads were too expensive, lead credits were never granted, etc.?

If you still use lead providers, what would you like us to do differently? What could we do to get you to try us out in the future? Free leads? Money back guaranteed trials where you actually get your money back?

If you've never used a lead provider before, why not? Bad word of mouth? Have enough business already?

I know a lot of you have had bad experiences with leads, especially with Service Magic, but we're honestly trying to create a product that would be beneficial for you, the consumer, and us. we'll never engage in all the shady business practices they have (buying bad leads, denying lead credits for obviously bad leads, creating fake listings under your company name to take advantage of your reputation, etc.). If you could give some honest feedback, I'll do my best to make sure that everyone benefits. :)

Best regards,
Jack

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What defines a lead as being oversold for you? What has your experience been with other lead providers?

Overselling leads is definitely a big problem with a lot of the big names in lead gen, for all fields. Our approach in other fields where we sell leads has been to sell leads to fewer companies, because we believe it benefits everyone: the consumer doesn't get pissed off at their phone ringing all day and night, the business owners stay happy because they get an honest chance to talk to and pitch to the consumers, and we're happy because we establish long-term relationships with our partners.

As for lead verification, that's also definitely a big issue for leads. Keeping lead quality up is a tricky problem. It seems like most of the lead providers out there have taken the simple, lazy approach, which is to just sell you every lead they get, and then place the burden on you to then return the bad leads to them. In theory, that system works, but it sucks because it wastes your time, forcing you to try to chase down wrong and disconnected numbers. On top of that, a lot of the lead providers deny the lead credits you send back anyways.

Unfortunately, it's tough to filter out every single bad lead, they're bound to slip through once in a while on our side. Would it make you feel better, though, knowing that we actually follow through with our lead credit policy? Our account managers are ridiculously dedicated: I know for a fact some of them have given out their personal cell phone numbers to the service providers they work with, so that they're never out of touch. Some of them have even exchanged Christmas presents. :laughing:

·
Registered
34 Posts
So one of the biggest problems with lead companies is that they don't sell the leads exclusively. If they do sell them exclusively to one contractor they want way too much for them! Lead companies are paying for pay per click now and trying to pay for the leads the same way the contractors are. Then they have to re-sell them at a higher price. In order for the price to be low on a per lead basis the lead company has to sell them to multiple contractors. This is bad for the contractors.

You should sell the leads exclusively to one contractor and you should sell them for between $25 and $35 per lead. If you can do this than you will have great success!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont have any constructive thing to say about lead companies but many very unconstructive foul thoughts I wont share.

I admit and am embarrassed I got "Had" several yrs ago. Money back guarantied bla bla bla.
Did I get my money back for the worthlessness of it all NO. Did I get a response back from one of the numerous calls and letters? NO
Am I talking I lost just a few dollars? NO

I lump Lead generators in with the home warranty category.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use these guys for leads... They are former HVAC guys! Very Honest!

You can pay per call or pay a flat rate per month. I started with pay per call and now do flat rate. No contracts and they don't share leads with other contractors in your area. Best marketing that I pay for every month! I think they are in several markets now.

Nerd Frat
http://www.nerdfrat.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just started trying lead companies. Had one that was a disaster shut it down, now trying two more. Not to sure about one of them, the other has generated a couple of good leads, time will tell. the main problem we have with lead companies is that a lot of them are just bad leads or they go to several contractors at the same time. Have had a lot of leads that were sent to us that the contact information was either wrong or they would not return your call or email. Makes me wonder were the lead company got there information or they just made it up to generate revenue. What I like to see is a company that sends a lead to just one company or two at max. at a rate of around $25.00 per lead with a guarantee credit for bad leads. I heard of a company that is charging the customer a flat rate and they then send the lead to one contractor in there area. Great ideal if it works,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just started using lead companies. One was a total mess. Trying two more now, one is flat rate the other pay per lead. The pay per lead I am not happy with, a lot of bad leads. The flat rate has generated a couple of good leads. l would like to see better leads and lower flat rate of $150.00 per month. Based on what i have received so far pay per lead is a bad ideal. Also leads should only go to one or two contractors at the most.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I dont have any constructive thing to say about lead companies but many very unconstructive foul thoughts I wont share.

I admit and am embarrassed I got "Had" several yrs ago. Money back guarantied bla bla bla.
Did I get my money back for the worthlessness of it all NO. Did I get a response back from one of the numerous calls and letters? NO
Am I talking I lost just a few dollars? NO

I lump Lead generators in with the home warranty category.
Who was this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
So one of the biggest problems with lead companies is that they don't sell the leads exclusively. If they do sell them exclusively to one contractor they want way too much for them! Lead companies are paying for pay per click now and trying to pay for the leads the same way the contractors are. Then they have to re-sell them at a higher price. In order for the price to be low on a per lead basis the lead company has to sell them to multiple contractors. This is bad for the contractors.

You should sell the leads exclusively to one contractor and you should sell them for between $25 and $35 per lead. If you can do this than you will have great success!!!
I don't know if this will ever happen. That sounds very appealing to the HVAC contractor of course, but I don't think the lead generator could sustain operations for that long.

Have you tried HomeAdvisor by chance? I'm curious to hear your opinion on them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can pay per call or pay a flat rate per month. I started with pay per call and now do flat rate. No contracts and they don't share leads with other contractors in your area. Best marketing that I pay for every month! I think they are in several markets now.

Nerd Frat
http://www.nerdfrat.com
Just an update, it seems that Nerd Frat guys were scamming. Or maybe the guys saying they were scamming were the scammers. Either way, search for "Nerdfrat" in the site and you'll find the thread I'm talking about.

Just be aware.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts