HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is sometimes difficult for small business's to compete for good employees because of larger companies being able to provide benefits such as health insurance.

I realize that the alleged terms of a nationalized health care program seem to change daily, but overall, do you think that by having a nationalized health care program it would take at least one burden from you for competing for qualified employees?

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I meant to add a poll, but screwed up doing so. If a mod could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think putting health care on an open market with out it being subsidize by employers will be the best way to help small business.

Make it a level playing field. Make the benefit reportable on every one's tax return.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm not sure it would be a help to smaller contractors or not, but since somebody has to pay for the excess it will cost because of being run by the government, I would say that if it goes through, companies providing private insurance will also be paying for the government insurance until it just makes no sense to have private insurance.

Maybe the government will get into the manufacturing of HVAC equipment and require the existing manufacturer's to pay a portion of making Volksconditioners.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
What was it. 4 or 5 years ago. that everybody was against paying 3500 to 5000 dollars for national health insurance.
Now. The version that is slowly being passed. Will not require you to pay for it by way of higher taxes. but, if you get caught not having insurance. You will be fined.

Name one insurance company. that didn't raise their rates for auto insurance. When a state made it a law that you have to have insurance on your car.

While a national insurance plan is a good thing on face value.
Employees, may get screwed over. Specially, during slow times. When they may be laid off(all industries, not just HVAC/R).

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bottom line is that the more government is involved in anything, the more expensive it is going to be and the more beauracratic the process is going to be.

Government involvement in anything that deals with the daily aspects of our lives is always a mistake.

When the people watch over the government, they are citizens.

When the government watches over the people, they are subjects.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not sure if it will help or hurt us. We have 30 co-workers. We pay $100,000.00 year for health insurance, employees only. We have to compete with other companies that offer no health insurance, but it helps retain employees. My thought is that we will be hurt by anything the government controls.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Health insurance benefits are a major reason for my not going back into business for myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heath insurance

The firm I work for is required to provide or make access to by state law. Any firm with four or more full time employees is required to do so. I have noticed most food service companies have three or fewer full timer employees. I think this should be illegal also.

I also think insurance companies should be more regulated. This last year I survived cancer. Midway through treatment the insurance company dropped the coverage for our entire company. Our firm had been with them for several decades. The other 14 employees where unhappy about the coverage change.

I personally think there is a better way. Insurance companies = :censored:robbery, Government plan= high cost:censored:?, Dr office=$150 for a 10 minute visit, Hospital=$1000 or more a night!! Nurses= that set around and chat about personal things and not care for their charges( do not get me wrong here. I had several great nurses. I have also had seen way to many that should be fired and license revoked.)1 x-ray= bills from the Dr,a Radiologist,an x-ray firm(the machine and tech), a facility charge(the building the machine is in), and a processing fee(the cost to develop the film). Note this was a digital x-ray(no film involved).:furious:

·
Administrator
947 Posts
The firm I work for is required to provide or make access to by state law. Any firm with four or more full time employees is required to do so. I have noticed most food service companies have three or fewer full timer employees. I think this should be illegal also.

I also think insurance companies should be more regulated. This last year I survived cancer. Midway through treatment the insurance company dropped the coverage for our entire company. Our firm had been with them for several decades. The other 14 employees where unhappy about the coverage change.

I personally think there is a better way. Insurance companies = :censored:robbery, Government plan= high cost:censored:?, Dr office=$150 for a 10 minute visit, Hospital=$1000 or more a night!! Nurses= that set around and chat about personal things and not care for their charges( do not get me wrong here. I had several great nurses. I have also had seen way to many that should be fired and license revoked.)1 x-ray= bills from the Dr,a Radiologist,an x-ray firm(the machine and tech), a facility charge(the building the machine is in), and a processing fee(the cost to develop the film). Note this was a digital x-ray(no film involved).:furious:
Did you see that news report where an insurance company drop coverage for guy who's yearly medical cost are close to $750,000.00 for him to stay alive.
And the courts upheld that they could do it.

And the policy stated they would pay up to $1,000,000.00 a year, as long as the policy was paid. And the payments were never late.

Government regulation. Doesn't ensure that all get treated equal.
Just the rich.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you see that news report where an insurance company drop coverage for guy who's yearly medical cost are close to $750,000.00 for him to stay alive.
And the courts upheld that they could do it.

And the policy stated they would pay up to $1,000,000.00 a year, as long as the policy was paid. And the payments were never late.

Government regulation. Doesn't ensure that all get treated equal.
Just the rich.
I have personally been through such a thing with insurance that wound up causing me to have to declare bankruptcy. When my oldest boy had a severe head injury he was first taken to the Shock Trauma section of Maryland General Hospital, the first such shock trauma unit and only one of two in the world at the time.

After two brain operations including the removal of part of his brain, he was eventually released to John's Hopkins Kennedy Center for rehabilitation. The insurance company we had, which was based in Houston, Texas, cut off coverage when my boy was transferred from Maryland General to John's Hopkins. The reason? Because the Kennedy Center division of John's Hopkins did not have an emergency room and therefore was not considered a real hospital. They used a technicality to refuse continued coverage.

After a battle with the Maryland Insurance Commissioner, it was determined that the insurance company either had to pay for the Hopkins expenses or no longer be able to do business in Maryland. The company chose to not do business in Maryland and I was stuck with nearly 1 million dollars in medical expenses.

Will socialized health care alleviate things like this? No way. More likely then not have been afforded the experimental operations that saved his life under the proposed plan. The proposed socialized plan will be more concerned with abortions and AID's treatment then the out of the norm life saving techniques that the private sector so strives to progress with.

Under a socialized health care, catastophic cases such as my boys will have to be determined by a board as to whether he is worth the cost to save against such odds. My boy was given a 10% chance of surviving his operations and a zero percent chance of not being in a vegatative state if he did survive. He is considered one of the miracle patients by the team of doctors who performed the surgeries. He now has a wife and five children and has held the same job for the past 15 years as an ACAD draftsman. Under President Obama's health plan, he would not exist.

On the bright side, the likes of Ted Kennedy would also not be given the life saving operations that kept him alive for the last two years of his life. OH WAIT! Those politicians will not have to have the socialized health care.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What would help small business would be cost-control measures. Tort reform and more free trade in pharmaceuticals would lower cost. Do you realize it's illegal for an american to purchase pharmaceutics from Canada? Gee, I wonder if the pharmaceutic lobby worked for that one...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts