HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Focused on Quality
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With our workflow being a little lower than we would like we are looking into working with a couple of national facility management companies to keep us busy over the coming months. I have conducted lots of research in this area and the reviews are typically very negative with vendors not being paid, terms being changed, and lawsuits being threatened. What I want to know is how has your experience been? Should we go for it? Who are the best groups to work with. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Research

If you combine a shady facility management company with a sub standard contractor the results will be negative. Payments will be delayed and lawsuits will be filed. With that said, I recommend doing your homework on the company. Look at who the company has contracted in the past in your area and if that company has had any issues collecting payment. Also take into account the contracted company's reviews. If the contracted companies that are having problems getting paid on time have negative reviews from other customers, it is probably their fault not the facility management company.

Trust your gut when dealing with them. If you don't have a good feeling about a company don't do a job for them.

Jeff Street
Boss Heating and Air Conditioning Inc.

·
Focused on Quality
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Jeff

Good morning Jeff, thanks for the suggestions, greatly appreciated. Google reviews are obviously simple to check, but are there any other sites that you have had success with? It's obviously hard to trust some reviews as they can be from disgruntled former/ current employees and there are 2 sides to each coin. Are there any national management firms that you would/ would not recommend? What are some ways that you market your business without succumbing to larger firms?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reviews and advertising

Unfortunately I do not have any recommendations for national management companies. We have not worked with any of them. As for checking reviews, I would "stalk" a company on Angie's List, Yelp, Google, Bing, and Facebook to start with. I would Google search them to see if they are mentioned anywhere else on the web that I haven't thought of. I would do that for the management companies and contractors before I started large projects with them.

9 times out of 10 these companies want to pay so they can keep a good reputation. If you perform work on par with what they expect and don't bill them for a ridiculous amount over the estimate you shouldn't have any problems. If you do a sub standard job and bill them $15k on a $10k estimate they will probably have issues with that.

As for marketing, that is how I spend most of my time. I mostly perform research and marketing services for Boss Heating & Air. Here is what I have learned:

1. Make sure you get on Google, Bing, and Apple maps.
2. Make sure you get as many backlinks as possible to improve your search engine ratings.
3. Use Facebook ads. They can target very specific types of people in areas you define.
4. Create useful content for customers that is not specifically advertising for your company. Then share that on all your social media platforms.
5. I got a lot of my advertising guidance from reading a book called "The New Rules of Marketing & PR". It's worth the read for a small business that want's to maximize free advertising.

I hope this helps.

Jeff Street
Boss Heating and Air Conditioning Inc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts