HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was asked to help local oil co. do there tune-ups and I thought that was a good way to stay busy any thoughts on that

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you could use the work... I say why not?
But are you going to be an hourly employee or sub?
If a sub, I would work out the details in writing beforehand about who supplies what materials and equipment, liability concerns, etc.
As you know, there are a lot of legitimate oil service companies out there, but I'm sure you also know that some oil companies offer free cleanings or $99.00 annual tune ups as a means to get their foot in the customers door, then push for questionable repairs like changing ignition transformers, draft hoods, fuel units, motors, cad cells, primary controls, burner upgrades, etc.
I would just make sure they don't expect you to engage in this sort of sales tactic as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If a sub, I would work out the details in writing beforehand about who supplies what materials and equipment, liability concerns, etc.
As you know, there are a lot of legitimate oil service companies out there, but I'm sure you also know that some oil companies offer free cleanings or $99.00 annual tune ups as a means to get their foot in the customers door, then push for questionable repairs like changing ignition transformers, draft hoods, fuel units, motors, cad cells, primary controls, burner upgrades, etc.
I would just make sure they don't expect you to engage in this sort of sales tactic as well.
Thanks DuMass for a heads up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
250 Posts

Having done this in the past I think DuMass hits most of the points I would have brought up. I did service for three oil suppliers years back, one wanted to pay $69 for a clean and service, the other two paid billable hours.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having done this in the past I think DuMass hits most of the points I would have brought up. I did service for three oil suppliers years back, one wanted to pay $69 for a clean and service, the other two paid billable hours.
they pay my cleaning rate and my service rate plus parts on the calls. my tune ups are a little higher then theres and they are willing to pay it. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
947 Posts
A gift certificate to a nice restaurant(not McDoanalds) for the owners, and or who ever approached you with the offer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts