HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Via a friend of mine.... He came across a walk-in cooler using R-22 that someone else had installed, where they used a residential A/C condenser. In this condenser someone had added a cap tube with a solenoid valve that energizes when the compressor is running, between the compressor inlet and outlet . My friend has never seen this and neither have I.
Is there anyone that could explain the purpose of this added valve and cap tube?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Via a friend of mine.... He came across a walk-in cooler using R-22 that someone else had installed, where they used a residential A/C condenser. In this condenser someone had added a cap tube with a solenoid valve that energizes when the compressor is running, between the compressor inlet and outlet . My friend has never seen this and neither have I.
Is there anyone that could explain the purpose of this added valve and cap tube?
Thanks
used as a desuperheater to keep the compressor discharge superheat under control or as a way for capacity reduction

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. My buddy removed the thing, so I'll update this if anything interesting transpires. My personal preference would have been, "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!" :blink:

·
Banned
67 Posts
compressor discharge superheat
Desuperheater
I do not believe a customer that has some jacked up walk-in...using a comfort cooling condenser as a refrigeration condenser....is seriously concerned with heat reclaim. Desuperheaters, in terms of refrigeration, are actual separate heat exchangers used with refrigeration equipment to absorb some of the heat from compressor discharge for other purposes.

More likely than not...due to the fact that the cap tube runs between the discharge and suction this is a jacked up attempt at hot gas bypass.

Sounds like they ran into trouble when they put equipment together for purposes other than which it was designed for. This "hot gas bypass" sounds like an attempt to correct a symptom rather than the problem.

This place sounds like a country store run by foreigners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.