HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The coil is trashed. It will leak down instantly. The HVAC unit was installed in 2006. It was constantly leaking down and was replaced twice. This is the most recent coil replacement. Professionals in the HVAC community need to know what a coil like this indicates. It is amazing how quickly the gasses from the drywall can destroy copper.

http://www.GantandBrown.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. When a new coil is brand new it works perfectly. Chinese Drywall releases gasses into the home from the drywall. The HVAC unit circulates those gasses. After a few months of circulating those sulfuric gasses the HVAC coil corrodes all the way through causing leaks. It has the same effect on the electrical and plumbing system. It also turns other precious metals black (silver, etc.). You can take any coil or any piece of copper and it will corrode that badly in that home. There is a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer. When I came on this forum I saw nobody has ever discussed Chinese Drywall and it is something HVAC professionals need to be aware of. I can post pictures of 30 HVAC coils the same age that have been corroded through. It is a problem from Florida to Texas, including California, and sporadically throughout the US. During the housing boom and the Natural Disasters that hit our country American suppliers couldn't keep up with the demand for drywall, so it was imported from China.

www.GantandBrown.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.