HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
I haven't used Cutler Hammer products past few years. We are using AC Tech drives 95% of the time. Nobody else can beat their pricing. SMVector series drives are superb.

http://www.ctiautomation.net/AC-Tech-SMVector-Drives.htm
If your company goes through the usual manufacturer requirements Cutler Hammer Drives are very well priced. You have to compare Apples to Apples as well.

ABB isn't a bad drive but I definitely believe CH has them beat. Honeywell and Siemens...well, they are way over priced. That is why you do not see many floating around in mechanical rooms.

CH has removal keypad that doubles as a programmer. So if a customer has several identical pieces of equipment and you doing the startup you can program the drives with relative ease.

On another quick note....one issue I do not like with all the newer technology is that products are increasingly becoming too user friendly. The danger?? In not too distance a future...anybody will be able to perform certain aspects of service without actually understanding the principal of how it needs to work. This obviously hurts those companies that provide those services and also creates a bigger danger as those w/o the proper knowledge can inappropriately install a drive or whatever which could have disastrous results.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The ABB ACH has been the standard and is very easy to use. The latest and greatest is the Vacon 100. This drive is billed as a "paperless drive" as everything is on the screen directly in front of you. Recently programmed a multi pump skid in less than 15min. Check them out if you get a chance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sq D is the only brand I have done start up on , in the last number of years that I can remember .

I can not say their interface is user friendly ? Not bad , with their book & if you do one every few months and can remember what is what .

One thing about it , when you get done , you rarely have to go back , unless it smokes . Some where down the line . Can not remember that happening , yet , on a Sq D drive ?

Pretty much set and forget .

God bless
Wyr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts