HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a system with about 20 water source heat pumps on it and 2 of them are acting up. The 2 that are acting up are working fine in cooling and compressor cuts out in heating. One of the units was low on refrigerant. I reclaimed the system, checked for leaks, and weighed refrigerant back in. It ran fine until it was satisfied. Then it started cutting the compressor out on heat again. Some times it would cut out after 6 seconds and if I put it in cooling then back to heat it would run for at least 3 min. Any Ideas.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not a tech, but we have installed alot of WHP's over the years. It's sounds like you are checking the right things. To run the pressures up that fast would seem to be a restriction in the freon side, maybe close to the reversing valve. There may be a strainer in the line that will stop up in one direction. If you have high pressure and pulling down on the low pressure side, you have a restriction. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already tried the reversing valve. It didnt make a difference now I think its the TXV. I don't know what else it could be.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Already tried the reversing valve. It didnt make a difference now I think its the TXV. I don't know what else it could be.
There may be a strainer in the area around the heat txv. If you can, let me know what the fix ended up being. I still believe you are on the right track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will let you know what the fix is. Wont be working on it again for a week or so. It is not as important as other jobs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran into a similar problem late last year with an air cooled Heat Pump. I'd check for a temp drop across the lines of the heating liquid line dryer and the TXV. You may find your rescriction in there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had a similar problem with our Trane water source heat pump. Thanks to all of you for your valuable tips. We were able to fix that. And a big thank you to Lash5adam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One of the dealers I help takes out the strainers on every txv. I tell him it is best to leave them in. He has been doing hvac for almost forty years and says it is better to take the strainers out. I still disagree. I try to always side with manufacturer design. Does anyone else, with experience, take these out?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts