HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I joined this site under the impression that this was an HVAC CONTRACTOR only site.

Well, one of two things or maybe both have become very clear.

1)Either there are a lot of contractors here that shouldn't be contractors at all (Based on a clear lack of the basic principles of the trade)

OR(maybe AND)

2)There are a lot of service technicians and possibly homeowners that utilize this site for Q&A. This is fine of course providing that HVACsite.com acknowledges this. Maybe they do and I simply overlooked it somehow.

·
Administrator
1,014 Posts
If you suspect a DIYer is asking a question. Report it, and Nathan(the site administrator) will close the thread, if he agrees that it is a DIYer.

HVAC site is for all HVAC tradesmen as far as i know. Contractortalk.com(a sister site) may be what your looking or.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1)Either there are a lot of contractors here that shouldn't be contractors at all (Based on a clear lack of the basic principles of the trade)

That's pretty much a fact of life. I was once a card-carrying member of the "shouldn't be" group myself.

OR(maybe AND)

2)There are a lot of service technicians and possibly homeowners that utilize this site for Q&A.

As for service techs, what other reason would there be for joining a forum, besides "Q&A"?
How the admins choose to manage member selection is their business. But the thing to do IMO, is simply not reply to the obvious HO questions, as there are plenty of "do-it-yourself/HO" sites available, and either ignore the obvious "shouldn't be contractors" (possibly DIY'er in disguise), or suggest they re-evaluate their level of training.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How the admins choose to manage member selection is their business. But the thing to do IMO, is simply not reply to the obvious HO questions, as there are plenty of "do-it-yourself/HO" sites available, and either ignore the obvious "shouldn't be contractors" (possibly DIY'er in disguise), or suggest they re-evaluate their level of training.
I have learned over the years of using forums to not read too much into comments by others as often times a person can misinterpret the emotion or intent of the poster.........

Quite simply, I was making a statement while also conveying the idea that perhaps I misunderstood the concept of this site. I don't particularly like to dodge questions but would like to know that the appropriate ppl are utilizing the site so that information I or others give out does not end in disaster. As to it being the admins business as to how they run the site...well, that is very much the truth however it is a public site and with that may come some questions, criticism, suggestions, etc.

As to how I came across the site...probably like most, while surfing the internet a link came up on a particular subject that was of interest to me and I visited the site.....entered my HVAC-TALK password when I realized this was actually not HVAC-TALK but figured why not join this one as well. I enjoy HVAC/R, the science of how it all works, seeing fundalmental principles being utilzed by the trade along with integrity, engaging in forum/other disscussions regarding the subject, and I have "penned" many articles regarding the HVAC field. I have been a long time member of HVAC-TALK(the url is spelled just like the name...I believe), and also of HVACmarket.com (http://hvacmarket.com/cgi/wp).
I hope this statement/novel clears up any misconceptions about my opinions on this site, and any other issues one might want cleared up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.