HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner

The Variable Speed Blower

10K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  RoBoTeq 
#1 ·
Why didn't the manufacturers, do more research, before they came up with that name for it.

Its a misguiding name.

Some customers think it means they can control the speed from the thermostat.

Some contractors think it means the motor will speed up indefinately untill it moves the set CFM.

What would you have named it, if you were given the responsibitlity for giving a name to it.

#2 ·
I would call it a Constant Velocity Blower. It maintains constant velocity(static pressure) unless the filter gets extremely plugged up or the ducts are grossly undersized in which case it will cavitate/hunt. I have never had any customers get confused about it and we have sold thousands of them. I usually tell my customers it is a high efficiency motor which uses 80 watts on low speed and show them the huge energy savings vs a PSC motor and they buy it for that reason.

#10 ·
Originally Posted by hvaclover
Sorry i killed your Buzz.

Will a million dollars make you happy?

Well, ok
:yes::clap::thumbup:

Yeah a cool mill would work form me too.

Check's in the mail. Don't cash right away, I post dated it 'til 2300:laughing:

#16 ·
Not you, all of the rest. I was being fasicious to all of the others who swear that VS motors have nothing but problems when I know, and evidently you do too, that most issues occurring with VS motors is not the motors fault.

Sorry I didn't make myself clearer. I was complimenting you as being the "one" who doesn't have issues. Am I still the Great One?

#24 ·
The X13 motor has the advantage of being a less expensive blower motor to operate and will operate constantly at a lower speed for constant air circulation, but those are limited benefits of what ECM motors are really capable of.

A variable speed motor is the same as the X13 motor, except that it has a lot more control features that can greatly increase comfort and overcome minor system issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.