HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
diagnosing a furnace is my gas leak tester I bought at Johnstone supply for about $175. This tester finds leaks in valves that are almost impossible to find with soap bubbles. It is much faster, cleaners, and more effective.

Most often, the customer cannot smell a gas leak and if they can't smell the leak, it is not serious to them. When they hear the siren of the gas tester squealing there is a better confirmation that a serious problem exists.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We use the TIF 8800-A. Good unit with reliable results. But if you want to take your diagnostics to the next level....I highly recommend Fieldpiece instruments. I purchased the Fieldpack last year. With one meter and several accessory heads, I can check everything from milliamps to gas pressures and data log the results.

That combined with a good combustion analyzer and a Testo 308 digital smoke tester will make you unstoppable!!:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, the knowledge and training helps too:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I need.

We use the TIF 8800-A. Good unit with reliable results. But if you want to take your diagnostics to the next level....I highly recommend Fieldpiece instruments. I purchased the Fieldpack last year. With one meter and several accessory heads, I can check everything from milliamps to gas pressures and data log the results.

That combined with a good combustion analyzer and a Testo 308 digital smoke tester will make you unstoppable!!:thumbsup:

Thank you very much. Where do I get one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fieldpiece is available from Sid Harveys or Johnstone Supply. The Fieldpack tha I have is around $1,200.00 or so. The Testo 308 Digital Smoke Tester is around $650.00 (I doubt that you'll find this tool useful since you rarely run into oil burners out there.)

The combustion analyzer that I currently have is a UEI C100A (I'm waiting until the summer to get a Testo 327 or 550) That costed $1,300.00. The combustion analyzer is a MUST for setting up oil or Natural Gas/LP. Since most condensing boiler manufacturers want to see thier equipment set up with analyzers.

·
Registered
599 Posts

My TIF is 15 years old and still going.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
I suppose not blowing up the customer is important, but I really thought this was going to be about magnahelic gauges...really.

Without a magnahelic gauge being used on today's furnaces, most troubleshooting is mere guessing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I suppose not blowing up the customer is important, but I really thought this was going to be about magnahelic gauges...really.

Without a magnahelic gauge being used on today's furnaces, most troubleshooting is mere guessing.

This is true. I use my magnehelic for every boiler install. I can see the varations in draft a lot better than the digital readout on my combustion analyzer. They're bulletproof as as well:thumbsup:

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
This is true. I use my magnehelic for every boiler install. I can see the varations in draft a lot better than the digital readout on my combustion analyzer. They're bulletproof as as well:thumbsup:
Be still my beating heart:)

Most times I ask a tech on a furnace problem if he/she has a magnahelic gauge and they tell me they don't even have a little one:001_unsure:

·
heatman
4 Posts
test kit

i just purchased a combustion analyzer kit
its e instruments covers oil gas o2 co nox preasure differential built in printer feild replaceable sensors. paper and printer ribbions at staples
very nice tool.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Isn't that Fieldpiece kind of like a swiss army knife? It can get you buy but isn't as good as having the real thing.
Not at all. Fieldpiece just uses the same power pack/basic control module for a variety of specialty testers that attach to it. Fieldpiece also has individual testers.

·
Administrator
966 Posts
I don't have a magnehelic. But I do have a Testo 506, and a 510. Both read very quick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts