HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of those millions of guys out there that does a lot of his home and auto repairs himself. It’s one of those things that started when I was a
Kid I just had to know how things worked. I have worked on everything from lawnmowers to autos to boat motors. What I didn’t know I looked up and read about. If it was something I understood and felt I could to I would tackle it. To this day I only failed to fix a riding mower and a weed eater. My father said that they simply too old and it wasn’t my fault. “Sometimes things just have to be replaced”, he would say. I developed a philosophy that if it’s broke, or not working I can’t make it not work any worse so why not try to fix it. I get a certain sense of self accomplishment when I fix things myself. I’m sure there are many of you in this forum that feel the same. Some time ago I developed an interest in the HVAC field and attended a Community College 2yr Certificate program to learn the basics of residential HVAC with hopes of getting a job afterwards. Well, that didn’t work out. After completing the program I failed to gain employment because everywhere I inquired about a job wanted someone with 3-5 years experience. I finally got frustrated with one individual and asked him how the hell can I get experience if no dam body will hire me to GET experience? He couldn’t answer. I then asked how he got his experience? His response, “this is a family business. I started working with my dad.” I just hung up the phone on him. I decided to let go a career in HVAC and just use the knowledge on my own system when I could to try and save money in that area. I still have all my books and notes that I refer to from time to time. Along with the internet as a resource I have managed to do well with my own repairs. This brings me to the problem at hand.

I have a Goodman model PHJ036-10 Serial Number: 9906547848 package unit. The unit is controlled by an old Janitrol HPT 18-60 thermostat. The unit was functioning perfectly until, quite suddenly one day it wouldn’t come on. Upon inspection of the unit I discovered that the Cera-Mite Start Assist module SKU: B1141670 Had failed and partially melted. After I replaced the module the unit still would not power on. I checked to see if I was getting power to the thermostat (C to R terminal), no 24 voltage. Now, before I replaced the module I did some reading. I found that It is possible that other items could have been damaged when the module burned out. Well, to try and make my trouble shooting a little faster I thought that if I manually engaged the contact something should happen. Then, I would have a better idea where to start troubleshooting. I used a pencil and manually pushed in the contact, nothing happens, I mean nothing. No compressor, no fan, not even a hum of electricity flowing, nothing. I checked to see if I was getting 120 volts to each L1 and L2. I have voltage to the contact. I was told that contacts rarely fail so I don’t know what the problem could be at this point. I hope someone out there can advise me on what I should do next

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.