HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Real Estate Management
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be an appropriate post for this forum and if not please excuse and delete.

I manage a two story vacation rental property with three separate heat pump systems, two downstairs and one upstairs. Each of the three hvac systems has a smart thermostat and all are connected to a smart hub device. There is no insulation between the floors as is standard in the region. The property is rented weekly and the renter currently has complete control of the thermostat settings.

In an effort to control electricity consumption, we would like to tie the three thermostats together logically and program some thermostat setting controls into the smart hub. I realize smart hub programming is not what this forum is about. So my question is more about HVAC design on two story structures.

Are there any hvac design guidelines concerning two story system control?

For example, it occurs to me that if the upstairs cooling temperature is set to 80 degrees and the downstairs is set to 70 degrees, then the downstairs system will work extra hard to achieve that temp considering upstairs will be a 10 degree differential. If the smart hub could be programmed to keep the upstairs temp setting with a certain range of the downstairs setting that might make both more efficient, thus saving energy. Similar for heating... If downstairs temp is set to 68 and upstairs is set to 58, the heat produced by the downstairs system will move upstairs thus causing the lower system to work harder.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
926 Posts
The same amount of energy will be used either way. No work will be saved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts