HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I had my pressure switch partially fail (2-stage furnace, would stay low and was unable to go to high) as diagnosed by a technician reading the voltages. The next day the guy coming to replace the part decides to have a look at the heat exchanger. He calls me down and says there is a hole, which he showed me. Looked like a pin hole (more like nail hole sized). He then ran his little screw driver through it to show me it was a hole. Ugh, new furnace time (current one is a trane that is about 16 years old). I didn't think a lot of about it until they came to replace the furnace and I saw the Trane sitting outside and I looked at the exchanger. Looks a bit suspicious. The heat exchanger is in excellent condition. No rust, or corrosion anywhere. Just that one pinhole. Made me start to suspect the guy sent to replace the part maybe put a hole it in. Is that a reasonable suspicion or is there a viable explanation for that type of hole with no corrosion?

View attachment 1077 View attachment 1077

· Registered
47 Posts
Hard to say. Look for rust or other corrosion in side heat exchanger. He should have tested for carbon monoxide on the supply side air to verify a leak in the heat exchanger. Not sure what part he would replace for high fire on the furnace to work and no reason to observe the exchanger for that problem. Duct has to be removed. There is no part that boost up to stage 2 except a call at W2 if the temp is 4 to 9 degrees (adjustable) below set point. No reason to check the heat exchanger visually and no part to fix stage 2 heat. Yeah probobly got burned. Unfortunately companies like that ruin the trade with the lies they tell. Hard case to win but would not use them again. Most companies just say you need a new unit when they can’t fix it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts