HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love how installers have no clue! they don't have to service them, so why allow room for access ? This was probably a DIY'er.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some installers maybe. But the guys I hang with are all owners so we gotta be good at both service and install.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have always been both the installer and service tech. Its always the installers who have almost no service experience that really screw up an install.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have always been both the installer and service tech. Its always the installers who have almost no service experience that really screw up an install.

Installers know when they are wrong, there isn't much recourse unless you are going to fire them and then go back to hiring someone you know nothing about. Most bad install issues are done just before dinner time, right after the gf/wife called the guy for the 50th time that day.

·
Energy mover
124 Posts
well if an installer learn his job OJT then he's only as good as the guy who taught him. even if he's been doing this for 10 yrs, if he's been doing it wrong, then 10 yrs goes out the window!

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
I say a plumber is to blame for putting a water heater in front of that furnace and repiping the gas line to accomodate the water heater. Probably had an electric water heater before:blink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
looks pretty standard for some of the installs i've seen. at least they didnt face the furnace a foot away from the basement wall. and yes one of our guys did that instead of re piping the gas line.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looks pretty standard for some of the installs i've seen. at least they didnt face the furnace a foot away from the basement wall. and yes one of our guys did that instead of re piping the gas line.
A two foot length of 1/2 pipe across his ass will cure that in no time.

I did that to a hack sub. I told him he can press assault charges or correct the hack up and get paid.
he chose the money. never used him a gain.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
A two foot length of 1/2 pipe across his ass will cure that in no time.

I did that to a hack sub. I told him he can press assault charges or correct the hack up and get paid.
he chose the money. never used him a gain.

I would have pressed charges, and still got paid.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
Been you don't know how things work here so please don't contradict me.
Doesn't matter where you are. A lawyer would have had my money for me. And you would have had a criminal record.

Just because the guy you criminally assaulted in this case, didn't know better. Doesn't make what you did respectable in any manor.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doesn't matter where you are. A lawyer would have had my money for me. And you would have had a criminal record.

Just because the guy you criminally assaulted in this case, didn't know better. Doesn't make what you did respectable in any manor.
Who was looking for respect from the hack? I was looking to keep my name clean in the city.

Cities like mine don't take kindly to guys with records doing shoddy work.
The building department had a laundry list of Handyman violations against the guy.
Plus i gave him cash and a letter authorizing him to pull a permit on my license. He still had that on him when I showed up to look the work over.
If he tried to press assault charges he would have been laughed out of court.

Down South they have a saying "He needed a good beating cause he owed me money".

If you think this does not happen then you are very naive.

Scum and low lifes don't get taken serious.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
Your the one that hired him. So why would you hire him when you know all this.

He wouldn't have been laughed out of court. A judge wouldn't have had a sense of humor when he saw your criminal record(the one for the assault).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your the one that hired him. So why would you hire him when you know all this.

He wouldn't have been laughed out of court. A judge wouldn't have had a sense of humor when he saw your criminal record(the one for the assault).
Been it's was for one job. I met the guy in a supply house and we talked.
I took a shine to him.
I needed one job finished and I was getting behind. He talked a good fight and seemed sensible. In this day and age biz owners want a back ground check an drug tests.
That is why ex-cons don't get a second chance. I trust a guy still he proves himself otherwise.

But you ask why I hired him if I knew about the other stuff the building dept had on him. Fact of the matter is I did not know. They can tell an HO if a contractor has outstanding violations but a handyman fall into a gray area and so they don't give out info of that kind for liability

. You know good and well no bldg authority is going to give you a "Job reference" on an individual. They are not allowed to recommend good companies because it would be conflict of interest.

If he would have pressed charges the burden of proof is on him. I am coming into court as a company owner who pulls permits and corrects my violation in a timely manner. I pay taxes in my city and I have good rep with local law enforcement.

This hack is going to come into court with the building department want a chance to remove a blight from the city and you think they would prosecute me?

Gimme a break.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
This hack is going to come into court with the building department want a chance to remove a blight from the city and you think they would prosecute me?
In a new York second.

And you'd get to pay him lots of money. Not just for the job.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts