HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an electrical contractor in Manitoba. An employee of one of my good customers lives in a 1960s apartment building and of course we have been asked to help.

Her heating unit works well with the exception that there are barrel/hollow pin connectors which are corroding and have melted due to the resulting overload. These pictures of the male ends and female panel mount receptacles show the connectors. They must be rated for 20 amps at 208/240 volts.

Unfortunately, I have no source for parts. I have checked with all of our local HVAC wholesalers and they can't get replacements.

No names or numbers on these, so any ideas as to where I can get replacements? Hopefully some of you service contractors may have run across these, and could direct me to a source
Thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
those are chromalox units..... i have been dealing with those all my life.... the male and female recepticles are no longer available.. those units are time consuming and very expensive to fix,,,,, that unit looks like its out of the cedars.............:blink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
have you checked an electronics store? you might have to make individual connections on each conductor. Or, you might try a good local union hvac shop. Those guys have enough collective experience that they might be able to assist/direct you. I am not promoting unions, I am not union myself, but the local guys have always been helpful to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow that looks like somthing from an old "Lost in Space" episode. If there is not enough space under that cover, you may need to screw a small electrical box on the front of that and affix an twist lock appliance plug and outlet. Or a cheaper way might be just a romex type box connector and wire nuts.

·
Banned
67 Posts
I am an electrical contractor in Manitoba. An employee of one of my good customers lives in a 1960s apartment building and of course we have been asked to help.

Her heating unit works well with the exception that there are barrel/hollow pin connectors which are corroding and have melted due to the resulting overload. These pictures of the male ends and female panel mount receptacles show the connectors. They must be rated for 20 amps at 208/240 volts.

Unfortunately, I have no source for parts. I have checked with all of our local HVAC wholesalers and they can't get replacements.

No names or numbers on these, so any ideas as to where I can get replacements? Hopefully some of you service contractors may have run across these, and could direct me to a source
Thanks for any help
The only practical solution here would be to remove the plugs and make the connections using methods approved by the NEC. Make sure the connections are safe and according to both NEC and Local Code. The other, even better, solution is to have the equipment replaced if the funds are there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Of course (tightening up tie). Unless the Manitoba he is from is in fact Manitoba, Canada. In which case the NATIONAL Electric Code (and not the International electric code) would not apply. If you want to do it by the book though, I would contact the Queen of England.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Of course (tightening up tie). Unless the Manitoba he is from is in fact Manitoba, Canada. In which case the NATIONAL Electric Code (and not the International electric code) would not apply. If you want to do it by the book though, I would contact the Queen of England. [\QUOTE]

Does not matter.....either of the two allow for repair connections provided they are performed with the appropriate materials.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts