HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner

new company - first winter service

6K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  pintofstout 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey I'm just starting my company and have been doing service and checks for a few months now. I am starting to get calls for no heat, and gas heat service. I was wondering what checks need to be done on gas heat to make sure every thing is running well. What tools/ meters do I need to purchase? I have flute and field piece for the ac side and heat pumps, but nothing for nat gas. I know how to check the pressure coming in the then through the gas valve (3 WC for nat gas). I was thinking there was a fume detector or something I needed. something to check to flame maybe, not sure what all I need.

Thanks for the help

#3 ·
eucation is the key

I have only been out of school for about 6 months but even I have trained on the needed equipment that you are asking questions about. Manometer, combustion analyzer, vane annometer, etc. These are basic tools of the trade and not to sound harsh but maybe you should have waited a while to start your company.

#6 ·
I'm going through almost the same thing except I finished school in May 2012 and bought into a business as a third owner and I'm working with two seasoned professionals that are ready to retire. The hands on experience is so much better than what I went through in school. Best of luck to you

#10 · (Edited)
You may also need a headstone for the customer who's furnace blew up

Nothing personal but of all the trades to attempt, why HVAC which involves natural gas (dangerous) propane(even more dangerous) high voltage, high pressure refrigerant gas, fast moving parts like fans and pulleys with no formal training?

By the way, I have a customer with a chilled water system that uses ammonia. It's got a leak. You want to take care of it for me?
Just kidding.

#12 ·
Boss don't be discouraged. Alot of these guys on here have been doing things for a long time and forget about what they had to do in the beginning to get to the level they are now. In my opinion if u really are set on doing this and need a income then just work with someone that already knows heating and the necessary tools to use in order to accomplish every task you will need to accomplish.

#14 ·
School doesn't teach you everything you need to know. You get done with school and thrown basically to the wolves, it's a sink or swim kind of thing. A lot of it is trial and error. Also has to do with an older, more experienced guy taking you under his wing and showing you the right way and telling you when you've ****ed up. A lot of it is also common sense. If you're ever going to make it in this field you have to pay attention and learn from your mistakes and don't be afraid to take criticism whether it's good or bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.