HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped out a 2ton unit heat pump (R410A) about 3months ago. I told the owner it might be a problem later. Will it? The line size was 3/4 and 3/8. The horizontal suction line is 5/8 from the condensor (about 22ft) and where the vertical to the air handler is 3/4. Will the 5/8 line need to be upsized? Thank you for your Help

·
Energy mover
124 Posts
what does the manu. recommend? the difference between 3/4 and 5/8 is only a an 1/8 of an inch and at 22 ft of it the mass flow rate "should" be ok, if there would be a problem it would reflect in you superheat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It called for 3/4. I just would hate to tear into it again, if it will be fine. superheat was good. He is willing to pay for it, but I would hate for him to have to spend more money if it will not harm the system.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One thing that I have learned from heat pumps is that improper line size causes excessive noise in some situations.
Aside from that, in this struggling economy, dont leave money on the table.
"Sir, while changing your heat pump I noticed several things that I would like to talk with (not to) you about. Your line size is not sized properly and even though it has been working "ok" for awhile, you can likely increase the efficiency and add some longevity to the life of the unit by correcting this issue. it will cost this much $$$$.
I also noticed that it is a heat pump and that the indoor coil is the same size as your outdoor unit. we can increase to size of your inddor coil to add efficiency to the heat pump. it will cost this much$$$
You see what I mean and I am sure there are others here that can give some pointers on some good situations to upsell?
Dont try to save or spend peoples money for them. if you notice a situation where the customer could benefit from a product or service, ask them, and be sincere. most imes they will go for it and if they dont, leave somthing for them like a price quote and some literature, and you will find that after they have some time to think about it you will get a call back.
I did an A/C check last week and the condensor was under his deck. explained to him the faux pas and gave him a qoute to move it 20'. he declined. left a writen quote on the invoice for the check and clean and left. monday there was a message on the machine that he would like us to call him, guess why.
Customers are willing to do alot when they trust that you are looking out for them, however you really need to be looking out for them because they also have really good radar for a scam.
Scooter

·
Registered
18 Posts
I swapped out a 2ton unit heat pump (R410A) about 3months ago. I told the owner it might be a problem later. Will it? The line size was 3/4 and 3/8. The horizontal suction line is 5/8 from the condensor (about 22ft) and where the vertical to the air handler is 3/4. Will the 5/8 line need to be upsized? Thank you for your Help
Most manufacturer's installation manuals have a chart that recommends optimum line size and includes a performance degradation factor for slight size deviations based on the running length.

I would let that chart be my guide as to what to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He trust me and he is also a friend of a friend. I told him that I would ask to see if it was the best thing to do. I recognized it when I installed it, but he wanted it done asap. He called me about it yesterday and I told him I would ask some people with more knowledge. I will tell him it should be replaced. The only thing that sucks is I dont have a recovery tank. Whats the best way to tell when its mostly pumped down. Do you go by suction pressure or by the sound of the compressor? Sorry about all the questions.

·
Registered
250 Posts
He trust me and he is also a friend of a friend. I told him that I would ask to see if it was the best thing to do. I recognized it when I installed it, but he wanted it done asap. He called me about it yesterday and I told him I would ask some people with more knowledge. I will tell him it should be replaced. The only thing that sucks is I dont have a recovery tank. Whats the best way to tell when its mostly pumped down. Do you go by suction pressure or by the sound of the compressor? Sorry about all the questions.
No offense but asking those questions you really shouldn't be dealing with refrigerants at all let alone R410A. The life you save maybe your own.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Pump the condenser over til the suction pressure is just above zero. That will isolate the air handler and the lines while you do modifications.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a universal epa certification. r410a certification, I also went to tech school and graduated with an hvac/r diploma. I have only been doing it for almost 5yrs with most of that in install, with light service. Tools are expensive and I have beenable to require my own set of gauges both for r22 and 410a, vacuum pump, digital micron gauge, sling pyschrometer and nitrogen tank. I always like to double check to make sure I am right, or to be right. Sorry if i came across as a diy. I just didnt want to mess the new compressor up. But for a relatively short time I think I have done quite well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a universal epa certification. r410a certification, I also went to tech school and graduated with an hvac/r diploma. I have only been doing it for almost 5yrs with most of that in install, with light service. Tools are expensive and I have beenable to require my own set of gauges both for r22 and 410a, vacuum pump, digital micron gauge, sling pyschrometer and nitrogen tank. I always like to double check to make sure I am right, or to be right. Sorry if i came across as a diy. I just didnt want to mess the new compressor up. But for a relatively short time I think I have done quite well.
5 years and yet you can't pump over a condenser?

i teach hvac and if you were one of my students you'd get a a swift lesson in Bootology.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.