HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The company I work for has brought on a line of thermal solar heating product which I think has a lot of potential. Especially with all of the tax credits and local incentive rebates, it just seems like solar water heating should be really catching on.

I am having a bit of trouble getting my contractors to sell the concept because solar cannot do any job by itself. Are any of you selling the sun?

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would try to sell it if it were priced right! and easy enough to install!
It is priced right considering the tax credit advantages and many local rebates.

For example, a contractor is going to put out about $3,000 for all of the components to do a solar hot water system that will provide 90% of the domestic hot water for a family of four in the summer and about 40% at the worse case in the winter here in Eastern PA.

This system will be installed by the contractor for an average cost of $8,000 and will take 1-2 days to install. At $8,000, the average payback to the consumer for savings on their domestic hot water versus oil is about 15 years, for electric about 12 years. This is not so good.

However, with a 30% tax credit off of the $8,000, the consumer is now putting out only $5,600. This alone brings the payback down to a reasonable time period.

Here in PA there is also a State rebate of 35% of the total cost. So now we take another $2,800 for a total outlay of $2,800 which has about a 3-4 year payback and a system that will keep saving hundreds of dollars a year in energy use.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A contractor who is willing to install solar systems should never let someone using oil forget about how high oil prices went and how easily and quickly oil prices could shoot past the last increase.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have seen a couple companies that seem to be doing well (nice new truck fleets and plenty of man power) pop up virtually over night in my area. Someone told me there is interest free money available in the southern parts of NJ for solar conversions.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Back when I was only a few years in business there were massive energy credits or solar (Thanks Jimmy Carter). The tax credits expired and the systems broke down and the systems were all proprietary. No parts. Monstrous air to air ht ex that had flue gases passing thru them were installed in cold air returns. Inspectors weren't qualified to pass the systems.

Fock solar, as soon as the tax credits go away so will the products manufactures.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Robin I kid you not when I say there were so many differently designed systems it made your head spin.

One thing the systems had in common was they all achieved 85 to 90% efficiency off standing pilot furnaces. All using the flue gases passing thru various heat exchange methods. I tore out more Frankenstein systems then I can remember.

Back then the requirements were the system be designed by a a credentialed engineer.
I may not support solar but at least we have established standards that won't allow those Frankenstein system I pulled out.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Robin I kid you not when I say there were so many differently designed systems it made your head spin.

One thing the systems had in common was they all achieved 85 to 90% efficiency off standing pilot furnaces. All using the flue gases passing thru various heat exchange methods. I tore out more Frankenstein systems then I can remember.

Back then the requirements were the system be designed by a a credentialed engineer.
I may not support solar but at least we have established standards that won't allow those Frankenstein system I pulled out.
This ain't my first rodeo, buckaroo:no:

I have doctored up and pulled out more of those systems then......no, I made good money off of those systems whether I was keeping them running or tearing them out and replacing them with something else.

I love solar systems. Been selling them pretty well in the past few weeks. Efforts in doing solar training classes are paying off.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sold a solar clothes dryer for some big dollars :laughing:
That's good. I have the solar water heating for washing the next load for your solar solar dryer.

My solar water heaters come with no strings attached, how about your solar dryers/;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
It is priced right considering the tax credit advantages and many local rebates.

For example, a contractor is going to put out about $3,000 for all of the components to do a solar hot water system that will provide 90% of the domestic hot water for a family of four in the summer and about 40% at the worse case in the winter here in Eastern PA.

This system will be installed by the contractor for an average cost of $8,000 and will take 1-2 days to install. At $8,000, the average payback to the consumer for savings on their domestic hot water versus oil is about 15 years, for electric about 12 years. This is not so good.

However, with a 30% tax credit off of the $8,000, the consumer is now putting out only $5,600. This alone brings the payback down to a reasonable time period.

Here in PA there is also a State rebate of 35% of the total cost. So now we take another $2,800 for a total outlay of $2,800 which has about a 3-4 year payback and a system that will keep saving hundreds of dollars a year in energy use.

I saw the date of this post and hope you know by now that there is a cap of $1500 for the entire property. So in your example the HO will be paying $6500.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw the date of this post and hope you know by now that there is a cap of $1500 for the entire property. So in your example the HO will be paying $6500.
And I hope you know that you don't know what you are talking about;

30% On Home Energy Tax Credits for Geothermal, Solar, Wind Turbines or Fuel Cells

The economic stimulus bill removed the $2,000 cap that had applied to geothermal heat pumps, solar panels and other home renewable energy technology. The 30% tax rebate on qualified solar energy systems remains in place on geothermal heat pumps, small wind turbines, and fuel cell systems.

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/renewable-energy-tax-credit-47100802#ixzz0PRppO1GG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts