HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if it is still an issue, but I believe NEST was having some problems with diodes that were causing burnt low voltage controls in furnaces for a while. That might have been resolved by now though. I haven't heard any more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I see equipment that doesn't require the skills to troubleshoot controls further then counting how many times a light blinks, systems that don't require technical charging techniques and a refrigerant that does not technically require a cfc certification because it is not a cfc. And HVAC company owners think these are good things because now they don't need to worry as much as to how skilled their techs are.

DUH! If an unskilled tech can do it, a skillful DIYer won't have any trouble.

Just how easy should our industry make HVAC equipment to install and is that the real intent of the manufacturers building equipment that requires less technical skills?
I think it will hurt service in the long run but not anytime soon.. as for installation it wont ever be DIY in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So many people think they can DIY. Especially when you can easily buy parts and equipment online.
On the positive side, I'm making pretty good money fixing all of their screw ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Diy???

If you want to see where the tech is headed, look at mini split technology. Very sophisticated communicating controls with extensive diagnostic feedback. While simple troubleshooting may get a bit simpler, the systems are advanced and not at all easy to work on. Refrigeration is still refrigeration, and Gas and oil are still gas and oil.

If you think that a DIYer can take the place of qualified techs because equipment is getting simpler, you may not know your own job as good as you think you do.

It is this very reason why OEMs are racing to idiot - proof things as much as possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll tell you this, for me, if there's a YouTube video about it I'm doing it myself. I pay no-one to do nothing.

It's good our industry isn't like auto. Over there, there are forums just for DIYers where proper mechanics walk them through everything.

Fixing your computer is another one, I've fixed everything on mine by following step by step troubleshooting guides for exactly that problem.

We as tech's have actually done pretty well keeping it locked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is advisable to use the services of a reliable HVAC service provider. For simple cleaning of filters perhaps can diy. Not advisable for the difficult tasks unless well trained and equipped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The funny thing is how much press the lawsuit got. And how well they left everyone know she won.

But, how little coverage it got. When McDonalds and won. They didn't print it as front page news anymore.

Nope, she never got her 2 million.
She got screwed. I saw a documentary on the situation, and how big business shamed her. She just wanted to get re-imbursed for medical. Sorry for the digression.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see equipment that doesn't require the skills to troubleshoot controls further then counting how many times a light blinks, systems that don't require technical charging techniques and a refrigerant that does not technically require a cfc certification because it is not a cfc. And HVAC company owners think these are good things because now they don't need to worry as much as to how skilled their techs are.

DUH! If an unskilled tech can do it, a skillful DIYer won't have any trouble.

Just how easy should our industry make HVAC equipment to install and is that the real intent of the manufacturers building equipment that requires less technical skills?
The thing is trouble-codes can be misleading. One can end up purchasing unnecessary parts, if they depend on the trouble-codes. As for hiring, unskilled techs, they end up costing money. Hopefully, "they" do their homework, to improve.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts