HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
HVACTECH
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined up today as I am sitting at home for the third straight day, this is getting old.

Anyway, 26 years in the trade 22 of those in South Fl, mostly installation of large project HVAC systems as a sub.

Made the leap 3 years ago and got my State License and set up the company which took all of our savings and Wham there goes the economy.
(perfect timing on my behalf)

Making a break into the service side has been good for my brain, and I am slowly making some headway with a customer base.

Still doing the install work also so with two options open to me I am working about 10 days a month over the last 5 months.:laughing:

It's going to get better, it's going to get better (is it ? ):blink:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Joined up today as I am sitting at home for the third straight day, this is getting old.

Anyway, 26 years in the trade 22 of those in South Fl, mostly installation of large project HVAC systems as a sub.

Made the leap 3 years ago and got my State License and set up the company which took all of our savings and Wham there goes the economy.
(perfect timing on my behalf)

Making a break into the service side has been good for my brain, and I am slowly making some headway with a customer base.

Still doing the install work also so with two options open to me I am working about 10 days a month over the last 5 months.:laughing:

It's going to get better, it's going to get better (is it ? ):blink:
sorry to hear that but welcome to the site :thumbsup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your timing may not have been the best, but it never is.
I started 45 years ago, without any savings and my wife wasn't working outside the home.
I didn't wait for work to come to me. I went out and found it. At times I would help frame a house, sometimes paid, so I would have a rough in to do.
I even did subwork for Sears.
I never missed a weeks pay check.
This industry has been great for me. I have a great high school education and have been able to send my wife and our three kids though college and beyond.
Don't give up, if this is really what you want to do!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Your timing may not have been the best, but it never is.
I started 45 years ago, without any savings and my wife wasn't working outside the home.
I didn't wait for work to come to me. I went out and found it. At times I would help frame a house, sometimes paid, so I would have a rough in to do.
I even did subwork for Sears.
I never missed a weeks pay check.
This industry has been great for me. I have a great high school education and have been able to send my wife and our three kids though college and beyond.
Don't give up, if this is really what you want to do!

Very good advise. Down in Florida I would go around to some of those retirement villages and see how satisfied they are with the companies that do their a/c work. Most are large enough to use more than one service contractor and some it's up to the homeowners. Either way I would go out and try and hunt up some work.

·
HVACTECH
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, as I wrote, my service side is building nicely and I managed to leave out that I have install work coming next week.

As far as the retirement homes they have on site a/c guy's ( I will not call them techs) if they can't handle the problem it goes out for bid.

Over all construction is down to levels I have not seen since coming to Florida, I work for 6 companies doing their installs and none of them are finding life easy this year, to be honest I thought we would be pulling out of this mess by now.

I picked up a nice contract with a bank yesterday on foreclosed homes, so it pays to be home once in a while, let's you get some marketing done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts