HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What gives with having direct to the public HVAC sales advertisements?

:furious:

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't really worried. A similar thing occurred on another site when it started advertizing. Just wanted to bring it to someone's attention is all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Those ads are contextual through Google meaning they just pick up on keywords and display ads. I can add domains to our blog list as we go though.

Overall though I'm focused on keeping homeowners / non-pros from registering and posting... I haven't focused on the advertising at all. There are so many companies that advertise on Google it's hard to control. But once again the main thing is non-pros can't post.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still, non-pros can see the site. So it isn't a good idea to have non-pros coming here for help and seeing where to buy HVAC equipment without having to have a pro involved:no:

·
Administrator
947 Posts
Still, non-pros can see the site. So it isn't a good idea to have non-pros coming here for help and seeing where to buy HVAC equipment without having to have a pro involved:no:

Its sistered and advertised on a DIY site.

So that could be hard to do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It wont be "advertised" on the DIY site for long. I just added a link in the HVAC section of DIYChatroom.com because I knew we had some pros there giving advise and I wanted to let them know. I tried to make it very clear that it was for pros only. I'll take that down soon.

Yes, the site is visable to the public but that's the nature of the internet. If you have a totally closed site it's almost impossible to grow a good site. 95% of people find these sites by doing a search in Google and stubling upon it. Also, even if someone did find a closed site it's hard to convince them to sign up if there is nothing for them to see.

What we have on PlumbingZone.com and ContractorTalk.com is a private area for established members where they can ask sensative business questions. We usually let the first 10 people who reach 100 posts in, then move the requirement to 250 posts for a while... and finally move it to 500 posts. That way only established members can see the private discussions. We will do the same on this site.

I know it's a little different but we've been running other sites like this for years and it's worked well. I check every registration that comes in to make sure they are a pro. Most people are pretty honest but even if we do get one of two people signing up who don't belong we will show them the door quickly.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like you've got this under control. Thanks for the info on how things work.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
Clover.

You could have used a pic that had atleast one woman in it. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts