HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a part time Service Tech (I am semi retired) for a small company I have run accross this problem and have recieved 2 callbacks on this problem.
Customer Complaint:
Air cools good but runs far too often when temps get above 90. Stat set at 75 and it will reach set pt. ( has 40-50 min run times during the day) Has Honeywell digital stat

I responded to this call today at 2pm and here are my findings:
Goodman 3 ton 12 seer straight cool Fixed piston-R22 with gas furnace.

Suction pressure/71 head/248
Sh ~11-12 Sat temp 54
Oat 93
IWB 64.2
Supply 57
Return 78

On the first call I did a complete service -cleaned coil, replaced filter and adjusted charge..(This customer had about a 17 Sh with near same conditions)
I am concerned on the return temp and the humidity level. Any suggestions please chime in...Fan speed? settings are factory set. This unit is only 4 yrs old too. What can I do to optimize this system. Anyone want to chime in please post..Robo/Beenthere
Thanks!

·
Administrator
947 Posts
With the return temp and WB you posted, you only have a 47%RH, pretty good. Is 78 what the thermostat is set for? 40 to 50 minutes isn't really a long run time for a 93 degree outdoor temp.

Sounds like the system is sized pretty close to what the house needs. Are they also complaining that the electric bill is also high? Or do they just think its not good for the A/C?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding...I am beginning to think that all is ok too but the Home Owner thinks that it runs too long when tstat is set at 75 and oat is 93-94
78 was the temp taken at the return where the air handler is mounted vertically in the Garage and a 56-57 supply so I thought the delta t was not range for a 18-20 target as I am used too.
I told her that I will be there on Tues to check on the system further.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
When its 98 outside and I'm maintaining 72 inside. my system runs for 6 hours at a time. Shuts of for 10 minutes and then runs for another 5 hours or so. I smile because my humidity is low, and I am comfortable. if it ran for shorter periods of time, my humidity would be high, and I wouldn't be comfortable.

Their system is operating fine. bet if they go to a neighbors house where it only runs for 20 minutes when its 93 outside and 75 inside, they would be uncomfortable because of a higher humidity level.

Remind them, that an A/c is suppose to have long run times as it gets hotter out. And at some point it should run non stop for hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Beenthere
The customer did mention that it has run even longer 60-90 mins at a time with stat set at 75. As a test mine ran 55 mins today and I was showing 97oat in my backyard! I have been contemplating changing the piston to a TXV for this customer but feel like all is really ok. I also forgot to mention that after my original service and coil cleaning, It dropped the current on my Compressor by almost 1 amp. I will post additional comments on Tues after I go to this home......Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow , You guys out to try a Phoenix HOT day ,,,,,,,,,115 and most everyone has an oversized unit because nobody wants to risk not being cool enough on hot days so even at 115 a good working unit will only run about 20 - 25 min / hour ,,,,,,,,maybe 30min/hour max , but humidity is'nt a huge problem here ,,,,,20-30% on average .

·
Registered
4 Posts
How large of an area are you trying to cool/supply temp should be colder/any liquid line filters/coil was cleaned cond or evap/solar gain/
locatian of t-stat/air flow /filters location -found a filter in the supply
once. Good Luck

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did not notice this the first time through, but what do you mean by Fan speed? settings are factory set.
I guess I havent seen a furnace only four years old, that did not have some sort of adjustablitiy to the blower.
I would think that would be fairly critical if you wanted to adjust temp rise/drop.

·
Energy mover
124 Posts
i would do a heat load calc to see what the house need vs what it has. 6 hr run time, damn. the units are design at 95 OAT as a standard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RE

When someone complains that it's constantly running, and after checking the system I get 17 to 20 TAC, I tell them there's nothing wrong with the system with an outside temp of 95.
I'd be looking at the CFM output in each room to determine is the ductwork is the right size.
My system at 95 plus OT only runs about 30 min. at a time tops & Humidity at 55 to 60% indoors.
Other have complain same, but no basement and all the ductwork in attic....... not gonna cool much of anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is the length of the line set? Looks like may need just a little more 22 to it. If the LS is 40 to 50ft you will need 18 to 25 SH.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes

The OP is 6 months old...but are you saying superheat is adjusted to line-set length? :blink:
Yea, if you have a 40 to 50 ft LS you will have to have a little more SH to it. It have to figure for it cuz your temps at the suction valve will diff. from short to long. Just as if you set a new unit you have to add 3oz to every 5ft of LS in most cases.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea, if you have a 40 to 50 ft LS you will have to have a little more SH to it. It have to figure for it cuz your temps at the suction valve will diff. from short to long. Just as if you set a new unit you have to add 3oz to every 5ft of LS in most cases.
Just in the interest of friendly debate, that's the first time I've seen line-set length considered in adjusting superheat. I can see some additional heat gain with increased length, but if the "charging chart" calls for 10 F at the service valve for a particular set of indoor and outdoor conditions, one would add freon till the 10 F was reached...or look into why there was a lot of heat gain to begin with.

As I understand superheat, the number needs to be reasonably low to load the coil and cool the compressor, and reasonably high to protect the compressor from returning liquid. I guess it depends on what you call "reasonable". :laughing:

·
Administrator
947 Posts
A 50 foot line set has little to no effect on the SH reading you should have. Unless the condese is above the evap by more then 20 foot.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
95/5 rule for st. cools...if its 90 Deg. or higher outside, Your superheat should only be about 5 Deg.
That would be on a home that is at human comfort temp already. Not one that the A/C was just repaired, and the home is hot and has high humidity.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts