HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best source of supply for copper fittings? What company or companies would you recommend? If you buy them online what websites?

Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
149 Posts
copper fittings

Like airon said support your locals and you could have some good people behind you when you need them the more you deal with them the more they go out of there way to help you

·
Registered
250 Posts
I buy my refrigeration pipe and fittings at United Referigeration. They have much better prices than the other supply houses in my area. Johnstone is a rip off on copper and tools, they really rape you.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had a Saturday job and they wanted to charge me 20 bucks for a four foot whip. Good thing there was another supply house up the road.

Got bent over for $4 for a six inch elbow and $3 for a damper..

Then the guy tells me after I pitch a bitch that I'll get better pricing if I spend $2000 in a month I'll get better pricing. Cha...spend two grand at Johnstone gets youa a standing pilot furnace (sarcasm people) and a foot of one inch acr.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You could always take $150.00 from your fittings allowance and get a Rems/YJ ratchet bender. That and a couple of swaging tools and you'll probably rarely need to buy most of those expensive wrought fittings, except for maybe things like changing out motorized 3-way valves of concealed, in-the-ceiling fan coil units like you see in some hotel rooms, where you often have what seems like 1-inch of clearance to work with. Using fittings there seems almost mandatory.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You could always take $150.00 from your fittings allowance and get a Rems/YJ ratchet bender. That and a couple of swaging tools and you'll probably rarely need to buy most of those expensive wrought fittings, except for maybe things like changing out motorized 3-way valves of concealed, in-the-ceiling fan coil units like you see in some hotel rooms, where you often have what seems like 1-inch of clearance to work with. Using fittings there seems almost mandatory.
On new jobs I use a ratchet bender all the time. But I find it harder to bend old pipe if it isn't heated before bending and I rather just use a long radius fitting than waste time heating and bending.

As for water piping, I use standard plumbing copper fittings and not refrigeration grade, I find the Depot pretty cheap on that stuff.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As for water piping, I use standard plumbing copper fittings and not refrigeration grade, I find the Depot pretty cheap on that stuff.
Yeah, I'll do the same for standard Type L sizes, but I can remember that some of the older Whalen fan coils we had to replace valves on had small ACR coil lines, like maybe 3/8” OD [1/4” ID] sweat directly to the valves with reducers. We had to use ACR fittings since there was no room to bend or swage tubes to do fit-ups for the replacement valves.
This was years ago, so I couldn’t say for sure, but it looked like maybe the coils had been originally designed for refrigerant, but were instead being used for water. :001_unsure: Get 'Er done!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts