HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

How do I get refrigerant from the A/C back into the evaporator coil? I year old 3.5 Ton Carrier heat pump - R410A

*I want to move my A/C unit about 12 feet, still on the same wall as the electrical. Disconnecting and extending the whip seems straightforward, and from my research, I should be able to suck the refrigerant from the lines back into the A/C unit using manifold gauges. Assuming that is correct and I extend and braze the copper lines, how do I get the refrigerant from the A/C unit back into the system?

I know calling a professional is best, but I can't get a HVAC guy out for less than $2k. I don't want to sound cheap but as a long-time experienced contractor, I have a difficult time paying for something I can probably do myself in half a day (I hope lol).

• Also, if I need a vacuum pump, is there a specific one I'll need?
  • I'm aware adding the additional length of lines will require more refrigerant, but with a thermometer and gauges, I should be able to do that.

Am I being foolish trying to do this myself?

Any advice would be great, I appreciate you guys/gals.

Thanks,

Dan.

· Registered
47 Posts
There is a little more to it than that. First how long is the line set and how long will it be when extended. Cut the lines as far away from the out door unit6 “ away from the condenser, so you don’t fry the valves on the condenser while brazing. Pumping down a system into the condenser can be done: Step one; turn off the unit and remove the service panel to expose the contactor and capacitor step2:hook up blue gauge set to the suction(big line ) and red gauge to the liquid line (small). Remove the cap on the liquid valve at the condenser and tighten the Allen under it down fully, closing it. Remove the cap for the suction valve at the condenser and tighten down all the way and the back off a full turn. Turn on the unit with the thermostat in the off position. At the condenser contact you can push the middle down with a flat head and it will contact for condenser. Watch your gauges during this time. The liquid line will run down to zero then the suction will run down to zero at which point you stop pushing the contactor and tighten the suction line stem all the way. Replace caps and tape on open line Sets. All the Freon might not fit in the condenser anc it will be screaming as it gets the last of it. Move condenser to new position and braze your lines including a liquid line filter. While brazing protect the valves with wet rags while brazing and run just a little dry nitrogen through the lines-at minimal pressure so the don’soot up. Pressure test then vacumn the lines through the manifold before releasing the Freon by opening the valves on condenser.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts