HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sure have been seeing alot of heat recovery wheels lately!
i wonder how efficient they are, seems like they could hold alot of germs!

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
I've been dealing with air to air recovery wheels and other media since the 1980s. I've not seen any issues with germs. If the filters are properly maintained, there shouldn't even be any dust or other dirty contaminants.

One thing is for certain, there would be more contaminants on the air out side then on the air in side.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have heard that they have been around a while!

i have only started seeing them here in the last uh uh uh
5 years

I've been dealing with air to air recovery wheels and other media since the 1980s. I've not seen any issues with germs. If the filters are properly maintained, there shouldn't even be any dust or other dirty contaminants.

One thing is for certain, there would be more contaminants on the air out side then on the air in side.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
i have heard that they have been around a while!

i have only started seeing them here in the last uh uh uh
5 years
They were not very popular when I was installing them decades ago, and for good reason. They were expensive and prone to problems. I had many problems with the first Honeywell Perfect Window units I installed. They had a flimsy band and pulley system operating the wheel that the long band on the thing kept breaking or coming off of the pulley's.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the aaon i just put in has both a sensible and latent wheel!
pretty cool
run of the mill molecular sieves, alumina and silca gel ,adsorbing dessicants!
blah blah blah!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seems like the one at a school I take care of doesn't work too well. It's for the lunch room and a lot of cold air comes in when it's really cold outside.

Is there a problem with that or is it normal?

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Seems like the one at a school I take care of doesn't work too well. It's for the lunch room and a lot of cold air comes in when it's really cold outside.

Is there a problem with that or is it normal?
Sounds to me like there is a problem. Is there a negative pressure in the lunch room that could be pulling more air in then the unit is taking out?

·
Registered
26 Posts
the aaon i just put in has both a sensible and latent wheel!
pretty cool
run of the mill molecular sieves, alumina and silca gel ,adsorbing dessicants!
blah blah blah!
they work pretty good. All the larger schools and buildings are putting them in here in GA. But here you exchange both sensible and latent heat since we are in a humid climate. It is SOP around here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts