HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses heat load soft ware and what type do you use?

Any complaints about certain brands of soft ware or have you found inconsistances in other programs you have used?

·
Administrator
970 Posts
Are you looking for it to be certified by ACCA.

WrightJ is, plus has modules you can add on to it. Like Wright Draw, for duct layout.

It also has a high layout price to buy it.

HVAC CALC is not certified by ACCA, its duct sizing program isn't compliant with Manual D either.
But, it is much cheaper.
And is close enough on sizing. That you are not oversizing, per say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use Elite Software also.

Recently added the DrawingBoard program from Elite, which has cut the time of doing load calcs in half. It fun to do load calculation again.

I know Wright software looks like a great program also. And also have had the HVAC_Calc for years, but its not MJ8

Also as a freebie, no frills, the towwsoftware progam is nice too @ toww.net

Jack

·
Registered
6 Posts
hvaclover:

I highly recommend that you or anyone else that has any questions about Manual J software or about how to use Manual J contact Tracy Savoy at
www.load-calculations.com.

She is an expert in all aspects of Manual J and the software but answers questions in a way even I can understand.

Tracy Savoy [emailTracy <at> load-calculations <dot> .com email]
www.load-calculations.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I purchased the 8th Edition Manual J book, it also came with an abridged edition load calculation spreadsheet on CDROM.

Is this spreadsheet adequate enough for most general residential equipment sizing applications?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't remember posting this:001_unsure:

Oh no! did "BAD CLOVER" take over and post this????

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hvaclover:

I have attached the ultimate in equipment sizing charts. :thumbsup:

At least that what all the fly by night HVAC contractors tell me. :laughing:

Dude you need new material or a better writer.:blink::yes:

That method went obsolete back in the '80s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess I am showing my age (54 years old) or maybe it is just my 30+ years in the HVAC business.

I still need the old way because at my age, when I forget my glasses my arms aren't long enough for the THUMB method.

Actually I have always liked a Manual J for every estimate.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lemme share ONE recent experience that i had that sums up what my thoughts are on Man J.

First off understand i have been in business over 33 years and have seen the rural areas around my market radius build up. I have seen good construction techniques and bad. In short in 30 years I know my market.

There was a whole slew of smaller split level home consisting 1400 to 1600 hundred square feet. 300 sq ft was basemen/living area. The builder put 75k standing pilot furnace.

I did a quote in one of those homes. The owners had upgraded windows. blown in wall insulation.

Damn near hermetic. I quoted a 60k two stg 95% VS pkg.

A company named Randazzo quoted by manual j 80k.

I lost the quote. But I did not need manual J to to tell me Randazzo's rep was way off.

I'll keep relying on my experience and my knowledge of the construction of the homes In my area.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts