HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a general contractor "volunteered" to assist in a CO2 sensor placement survey for the purpose of demand controlled ventilation (DCV) in the desert where (I WAG) economizer mode is common, at least after sundown. I need advice to make good choices.

a) Any recommendations for good websites of "do's / don'ts" of commerical DCV? What about guidelines on CO2 sensor placement (RA duct or grille vs. wall-mounted in living space)? I've read the negatives to RA duct placement. What does ASHRAE 62.1 say? Is it forbidden?

b) Strategy: Considering all types of commerical uses in different buildings (offices, labs, paint or machine shops, kitchen, auditorium, conference room, library, gym, etc.) which makes the best candidates for CO2 sensor placement? I wager good candidates have large room volume and periods of low occupancy (the longer, the better). After surveying my mix of commercial areas, is that a good way to prioritize potential DCV candidates?

c) Given a lengthy hallway of individual offices with one conference room, is it overkill to give each office its own (wall or duct mounted) CO2 sensor? Is using a RA header ever acceptable? And, what about that partially used conference room I may find? Should its low CO2 ppm dictate the OA damper position most of the time? Won't the office spaces suffer?

d) What if it were a huge open space of cubicals instead? One wall sensor for the whole area placed near the thermostat, perhaps?

Your thoughts are appreciated, and maybe next time I can help you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on Tips

A friend with long-time standing in the HVAC industry advises me to look for areas receiving 25% OA or more, but avoid those where the make-up air requirement is large. He says offices aren't worth it typically needing 10-15% OA. Better targets may be social halls, restaurants, and such. Would anyone care to comment? :sad:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts