HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope you can help me find a solution, My sister has an older Goodman heat pump. She ran her heat strips all winter? Yeah I know, anyhow, I went to activate the condensing unit and I'm getting heat on my suction side in cool mode. When the stat is set on heat, it does what its suppose to do. I disconnected all heat related wiring at the stat and now the compressor kicks on for about 10 seconds and kicks out.

additionally, I hooked up my gauges, suction side hit retard and high side was at about 50 (with the compressor off) upon removing my gauges, the suction side spuewd out light brown oily foam. I also forgot to mention that there is NO filter dryer on it and the air handler is in the attick.

I was thinking defrost board? or contactor? also, I guess I'll need to evacuate it and put in a dryer. Any thoughts???
Thanks

Stuck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the reversing valve. The coil on the valve should be energized in the cool mode and de-energized in the heat mode. If you have 24v present on the rev. valve coil, then the coil is bad. If no voltage is present at the coil then you have a wiring issue. The valve should energize off of the "O" terminal from the thermostat. Check at the outdoor unit for 24v between "c" and "o" terminals. In cooling it should be there. If not go bacwards towards the stat, if it is present go toward the control board, and yes it should have a liquid line drier installed at the indoor unit, and make sure it is a bi-flow drier.

·
Banned
67 Posts
It is always a better idea to have your cooling system regularly inspected than to have to deal with unexpected component failures and other issues. Catching a problem before it causes equipment damage or failure is easy enough to do if you stick to the regular cooling system maintenance schedule as recommended..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.