HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a cottage with a 4 yr old Amana Furnace. The natural gas Furnace has an 80% rating,with 60,000BTU output. The heating vender, if u call them that, vented the furnace into an inside masonry chimney. The chimney has a 8" by 8" tile liner. In the basement, at the base of the chimney we now get water that is leaching through the brick. My question is what size and metal type of flue liner should I go with to stop this!! The chimney height from basement to top is 24 feet. It's 5 foot above the roof line. I put a cap on the chimney in the spring. No moisture problem when we dont use the furnace. Appreciate any suggestions,,,thanks,,,,,,kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes a water heater will vent into the chimney, but does not now. So now the only thing venting into the tile lined, chimney is the furnace. Thanks,,,,kevin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice on using a 5" liner . I will be using it to vent the furnace and water heater. I was thinking of going with a double walled, stainless or steel, being that in the future i may attach a wood kicker furnace and that would vent into this also. Any other ideas on this,, thanks

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Thanks for the advice on using a 5" liner . I will be using it to vent the furnace and water heater. I was thinking of going with a double walled, stainless or steel, being that in the future i may attach a wood kicker furnace and that would vent into this also. Any other ideas on this,, thanks
Not a good idea. It is very bad to vent a wood burning stove into the same chimney/flue as a gas appliance is vented into. The wood byproducts will build up on the wall of the chimney and the gas flue gases will dry out the wood soot and cause it to fall into the chimney. Not a good idea. Vent them seperately.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I dont think you can use b-vent for wood. It can not handle the heat. As Ro Bo Teq says they must be vented seperatly.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
here its against the law...to vent in the same flue as a wood burning appliance.. if u have this problem...couple ways depending on where u live 94 ontario passed when furnace were changed theres not enough heat in the chimney as u can guess..so they decay. so a liner must be drop the above numbers are correct. but may depend on a couple factors.90's distance away from chimney..but all wood burners for wet cert must be a vent.

difference between b vent...and a vent open up the centers...b vent in hollow air passages cools and drop the clearness problems for most houses...a vent is a special packing directs heat up and out... so what u can do...if u have ur wood burner in the same flue passage ur screwed..but can change tank go direct vent or power vent.
if its a 2 chase chimney then ur okay. but if any gas tech walks in and sees that he'll shut ya down...can be very unsafe carbon monoxide can be made...
Can someone translate this into English, please?

·
Registered
6 Posts
sorry long day..tired bleed an old boiler system, then had to change out a set of bearings...only problem mounted 16 ft in the air. drop the housing, then a big commical ao smith tank in hotel, then 4 residential calls so give me a little break

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Yep, just playing wit ya, because we can, because we've all been there. Still, I'll bet there's some good info in that post if we can just decipher the code.:yes:

·
Administrator
947 Posts
Yep, just playing wit ya, because we can, because we've all been there. Still, I'll bet there's some good info in that post if we can just decipher the code.:yes:
I can sell you my Cracker Jack decoder ring if you don't have yours anymore.

Wood stove needs its own chimney.

Have you called any contractors yet to see what your chimney needs.

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
I can sell you my Cracker Jack decoder ring if you don't have yours anymore.

Wood stove needs its own chimney.

Have you called any contractors yet to see what your chimney needs.
I'll bet some idiot would pay good money for one of those decoder rings. I hear that is what was used to come up with the color code for our nations security levels for terrorism.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.