HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Ohhhh ok, I'm curious too:yawn:

I've only used CO2 in a mix for welding, but I'm willing to learn something new:whistling2::sleep1:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll be waiting for the answer to that one! It seems to me that CO is a bit more expensive than nitrogen. So whats the benefit?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By not telling him how silly it is to think that using CO2 rather then nitrogen as a braze purge is?:laughing:
Hah ahaahahahah.:mad::001_tongue:

Bone dry CO2 is more costly if you just consider price.

The same size tank will give you much more CO2 than nitro. You buy nitro in cubic feet and CO2 by pounds.

Now we ain't talking your soda fountain CO2 here, we are talking pure and dry CO2 as is used in welding as a shielding gas.

It's inert. That's the short version

Here's a link that proves me right

Read the left side of the second page

http://img170.imageshack.us/i/medicalgases.pdf/

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Hah ahaahahahah.:mad::001_tongue:

Bone dry CO2 is more costly if you just consider price.

The same size tank will give you much more CO2 than nitro. You buy nitro in cubic feet and CO2 by pounds.

Now we ain't talking your soda fountain CO2 here, we are talking pure and dry CO2 as is used in welding as a shielding gas.

It's inert. That's the short version

Here's a link that proves me right

Read the left side of the second page

http://img170.imageshack.us/i/medicalgases.pdf/
What a pain in the butt. I have to join imageshack to see what you are talking about:furious:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't figure out how to get your dumba$$ link to work. Does it have to do with the cost differences between medical grade nitrogen and CO2?
Naw. Back before me and you were born contractors were using Dry CO2 instead of nitrogen to braze.

It some how fell out of favor (probably because of votech teachers who didn't know better). So everybody thought nitro was the holy grail and CO2 was for hacks.

I use the Dry CO2. I pay more but I get a lot more product so I can clean condensers and blow out drains and such and still have a ot left over as compared to the same size nitro tank..

·
Tech./Sales Consultant
609 Posts
Naw. Back before me and you were born contractors were using Dry CO2 instead of nitrogen to braze.

It some how fell out of favor (probably because of votech teachers who didn't know better). So everybody thought nitro was the holy grail and CO2 was for hacks.

I use the Dry CO2. I pay more but I get a lot more product so I can clean condensers and blow out drains and such and still have a ot left over as compared to the same size nitro tank..
This is a good to know alternative. Are CO2 tanks, valves and gauges compatible with nitrogen tanks, valves and gauges?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is a good to know alternative. Are CO2 tanks, valves and gauges compatible with nitrogen tanks, valves and gauges?

Tanks have different threads so the answer is no. The CO2 pressure regulator
accommodates a standard 1/4 " gauge hose to any manifold set.

I always back flush the lines just to make sure there is no foreign matter in them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
thats cool i used to use co2 to blow out coils and drains but it was supplied by my employer at the time now my current employer like you said, believes that dry nitro is the "holy grail" thanks for the insight :thumbsup:
now all I have to do is convince the boss and get him to outfit our trucks with the co2 tanks and regulators!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL...good luck. No owner is gonna be sold that easy.

But just FYI you can order bone dry co2 thru Air Gas. Make sure you ask for bone dry co2 or they won't know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
89 Posts
LOL...good luck. No owner is gonna be sold that easy.

But just FYI you can order bone dry co2 thru Air Gas. Make sure you ask for bone dry co2 or they won't know what you are talking about.

okay thats good info, thanks the boss is a pretty reasonable guy and i know he hates having to refill the nitro cylinders constantly and I agree with you that a tank of co2 can go much farther than same sized tank of nitro.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
okay thats good info, thanks the boss is a pretty reasonable guy and i know he hates having to refill the nitro cylinders constantly and I agree with you that a tank of co2 can go much farther than same sized tank of nitro.:thumbsup:
Well hell, if somebody is gonna try to resurrect a much maligned but beneficial service practice it might as well be one here in MI.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts