HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone occasionally use these for small critical charge systems like PTACs, ice machines, window units, coolers, etc…?
I have two of the heated Dial-a-Charge models made by Robinair. One is calibrated for R12/22/502 and the other for R134A only. I think I overdid it a bit though by getting the 5 LB size… I probably would have been fine with the 2.5 LB models.

·
Administrator
1,014 Posts
To each his own.

Do reach ins, etc, that take less then 2 pounds, no trouble.

A calabrated digital scale is just as accurate as a charging cyclinder.
And no temp compensation errors.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To each his own.

Do reach ins, etc, that take less then 2 pounds, no trouble.

A calabrated digital scale is just as accurate as a charging cyclinder.
And no temp compensation errors.
Temperature compensation? Whooh… you have to turn the outer shield to match the reading of pressure gauge on top… not too hard to accomplish.
That's why it's called the Dial-a-charge.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That’s why there heated. You just plug them in to a 120V receptacle. This has the same effect as using a tank heater on a 30lb or 50lb cylinder. ;)

·
Administrator
1,014 Posts
That’s why there heated. You just plug them in to a 120V receptacle. This has the same effect as using a tank heater on a 30lb or 50lb cylinder. ;)
Come back and tell me how mch you like using one, in another 2 years.

I used a 5, and a 10 pound one.

Used them in both summer, and winter.

A digital scale is better, easier, and faster.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, but I’ve already had them both for probably six or seven years now. I also own and use a digital scale as well as a digital programmable scale/refrigerant meter, so I use them all.
I’m not trying to convert anyone here… just asked if anyone else used them occasionally for small critical charge systems.

They do have their advantages though. You can fill them in the shop or in the truck and bring them pre-filled to the equipment, so you don’t need to carry a digital scale and 30lb cylinder, just the charging cylinder.
You would probably already have your extension cord running your vac pump at the equipment if needed for the heater.

·
Administrator
1,014 Posts
I got tired of filling them. Thats time that can be spent doing other things.

Back when I used them. They didin't have digital scales yet(atleast not portable ones).

I did however, discover that they can be a great training aid, when you want to teach someone about saturation_p/t.

PS: When you want to put 4 pounds in the 5 pound cyclinder, and at 3.2 pounds its pressure is equal to the tank your filling from. You are using a recovery machine to remove the vapor to get the rest of the liquid refrigerant in, right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got tired of filling them. Thats time that can be spent doing other things.

What...... like watching the micron guage, or smoking a cig.
I did however, discover that they can be a great training aid, when you want to teach someone about saturation_p/t.

PS: When you want to put 4 pounds in the 5 pound cyclinder, and at 3.2 pounds its pressure is equal to the tank your filling from. You are using a recovery machine to remove the vapor to get the rest of the liquid refrigerant in, right?
Isn't that what you are supposed to do:laughing:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.