HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what everyone is installing more of these days and why. Carrier, Trane, Bryant, York, etc...

When we were doing more new construction we installed a lot of Carrier but lately we've been installing more Tranes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We use Carrier because the basic foundation of this technology was developed by Carrier, as represented in properly accredited training materials. Carrier can be arrogant & obnoxious at times. Bryant, Trane, York, Lennox are very good also, most other off brands are just copy cats & have little investment in research & devlopement and the cheaper price reflects that. Proper installation & application are the most critical no matter what brand is used. In addition to little or no research expense, cheaper brands many times use thinner copper, steel & aluminum in manufacturing. We try to avoid the cheaper units for our long term clients as the thinner materials result in shorter useful life of equipment. I hate telling a client they need a replacement after a few years because whatever is rotted out.

·
North of 52
122 Posts
We sell mostly high end Lennox units to a well established long term clientele who want quiet well built units and are willing to pay for the top of the line type units. Also sell some Armstrong and AireFlo for the low end market. Not real happy with Carrier and their lack of tech support etc and what appears to be a dumbing down of some of their product to compete with the low end stuff. Used to be right up there with Lennox from my viewpoint.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
Most companies sell more of what ever their main line is.
Weather it be Carrier, Lennox, Rheem, Trane or York. Just to name a few.

·
Registered
599 Posts
We use Carrier because the basic foundation of this technology was developed by Carrier, as represented in properly accredited training materials. Carrier can be arrogant & obnoxious at times. Bryant, Trane, York, Lennox are very good also, most other off brands are just copy cats & have little investment in research & devlopement and the cheaper price reflects that. Proper installation & application are the most critical no matter what brand is used. In addition to little or no research expense, cheaper brands many times use thinner copper, steel & aluminum in manufacturing. We try to avoid the cheaper units for our long term clients as the thinner materials result in shorter useful life of equipment. I hate telling a client they need a replacement after a few years because whatever is rotted out.

Now i don't consider Nordyne equipment an off brand and they are heavy into R%D. The were the ones to introduce the first 23 SEER ac and Heat Pump.
They have a great tech service dept.

I'll take a Westinghouse over any furnace or ac.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We sell Goodman, because it is the best value and best warranty and very reliable when installed and maintained properly. I have installed and serviced many of the big brands, but I prefer the Goodman.

·
Registered
599 Posts
We sell Goodman, because it is the best value and best warranty and very reliable when installed and maintained properly. I have installed and serviced many of the big brands, but I prefer the Goodman.

Nordyne started the ten year warranty. And the ten year Quality Pledge.

I know Goodman has a Life Time warranty but the customers who I have talked to would rather buy anew unit after ten years because they would rather have the new technology that would be available at the time of failure.

Now correct me if i am wrong, but the life time compressor warranty only applies to the original home owner doe it not?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nordyne started the ten year warranty. And the ten year Quality Pledge.

I know Goodman has a Life Time warranty but the customers who I have talked to would rather buy anew unit after ten years because they would rather have the new technology that would be available at the time of failure.

Now correct me if i am wrong, but the life time compressor warranty only applies to the original home owner doe it not?
Yes that is true! its actually a 99 year warranty but the homeowner has to register with the Mfg. within 90 days from date of purchase. Also, did you know that Goodman purchased Amana a few years ago? And Goodman is the 2 nd most sold in the States?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Know all about it. Was slingin' Junkatrol when Goodman first bought the name.

But Goodman is no longer number two. Their market share has shrunk, mainly thanks to Nordyne .

Goodman was at one time a trend setter in warranties now Nordyne leads the way.

Goodmand is still the same -o same-o design.

Nordyne has improved and changed it product line up every year.

They are big and getting bigger all the time.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Volume is volume Been, can't argue with the growth they have. Companies are birthed, grow and die. Nordyne's time in the sun is just starting.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
Their growing using the same tatics as Goodman did.

low price units.

They do have the inverter centraal system. But I don't think its moving as good as they had hoped for though.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
Its a cheap unit.

Or I would have used Goodman instead. But Goodman couldn't match the price. Let alone beat it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So which?

What do you all like in 2.5T R-22 based unit for quality, reliability and support? I'm just getting the business started here in New England (where we are running 10 - 15 degrees below normal, sheesh).

·
Registered
21 Posts
We are a Trane dealer. I feel like it is a brand I can tie my name into. We give a 10 years parts and labour warranty with every unit sold.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts