HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use for testing caps?
Do you prefer a stand-alone cap tester or an all-in-one multimeter with cap test function?

I have an Amrad digital dual-cap tester, which I think is pretty neat, since it's the only dual-cap tester I've ever seen, as well as an older Supco model and a Fluke multimeter with cap test function.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ya' know I surf the net looking for different brands of meters that have all the HVAC functions of a Fluke 116. I have found that all the brands I have come across vary in price but all have a cap tester function.

I have two Ideal meters, one a class II that is compact and cost $30 and a classIII that cost $50. The cap testers on all of them are all accurate as the hundred dollar meters.

I don't see any need for a dedicated cap tester cause all the multi meters come with them these days and there is no deficiency in accuracy from one to the next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agreed. I do have a dedicated cap tester that I bought a long time ago, it still rides around on the truck just in case.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You guys and you new fangled tools. :laughing:

Not sure if the picture is showing up. I could not see it untill I logged in again. Anyone see it? Maybe I need to resize it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Nice piece. i am a sucker for test equipment over 30 years old.
Hell, the wood box it comes in is a work of art and craftsmanship.

Old timers will remember the the day we first started out if you had an instrument like that you were branded a nerd. That was because we could not afford them back then. lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a fluke 16 if checking the capacitor powered off and out of circuit. I would use a fluke 116 but my tools are not that new.

If the equipment can’t be shut down then I use my Fluke 322.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts