HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I'm Greek and none of my relatives use that damn thing.

Too damn heavy to wear on your wrist.

Thing is a fake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
New bearing removal tool

Does anybody out there have a use for a new and simple to use tool for removing blower bearings. I have a new product specifically for this purpose and it works great. The product is currently in patent pending and will soon be available for sale. I have started the manufacturing process and will soon have a youtube video to demonstrate how it works. I can change out most bearings using this too in 10 minutes or less. It is a hand tool and not a complicated puller and will be able to be purchased for under $50.00. If I have your interest please respond and I will be adding a video within 30 days. I don't know about you guys but changing out bearings is not something that I do every day but it can be a pain in the butt and I am tired of using my cutting torch and other time consuming and dangerous methods to remove old bearings from rusty old shafts. Look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will normally try the A/T Rust Buster first for removing blower wheels and pulleys. It's a clear, slippery, water like liquid that apparently has been used in auto repair shops since the 1970's, but I only found out about it maybe ten years ago.
I loosen the setscrews and give a few good squirts between the shaft and hub followed by a few light "love taps" to the hub collar with a with a drift punch and ball peen. This usually breaks them loose, but if not, I then completely remove the setscrews and flood the shaft and setscrew holes again and repeat.

If I still get attitude from the blower wheel, :censored: I will use a small Uniweld Mapp hand torch that has fairly long reach tip to heat the shaft and hub for about 20-30-seconds, then shock the hub with spray from a bottle of glass cleaner that I always carry patio covers to clean off flux and grubby finger prints. This followed by another quick flood of the rust buster, which gives off a fluffy white cloud when heated, so don’t breath it… and a few more "love taps" will usually do the trick.

Only if all the above fails, is when the hub pullers come out. I have a couple of different sizes of those as well as wheel pullers, but these are rarely necessary.

BTW: "Rust Buster" is the clear liquid from Atwater Supply [A/T], not the brown stuff similarly named "Rust Breaker".
Judging from the odor, I think the brown rust breaker is just repackaged CRC. I've used it and it works, but nowhere near as well as the clear rust buster does on blower wheels or pulleys.
There are really good product from HD and Lowes that is good for cleaning this stuff up... it's usually in their aersol aisles...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had a similar situation a few months ago. Wish I would've seen this post before. I love using forums to help troubleshoot from hearing other guys passed experiences. I didnt notice you say anything about a fault code or anything. Have you checked that out to see if it can be a simple fix like mine ended up being after 30 minutes of feeling defeated and stumped?

HVACServices

81 - 97 of 97 Posts