HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mechanical Contractor
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, recently I passed all the qualifications that the state of Florida require for a Mechanical contractors license. My problem is that Im freaking out due to the amount of concerns I have starting my business. If you possibly could overlook these few questions and kindly suggest your ideas that have worked for you or someone you know, I would appreciate it. Now keep in mind that I do Industrial Refrigeration, mainly Ammonia but also large tonnage freon refrigeration. I am currently going to work for a large grocery chains Distributoin center and will work nights and attempt to start my business on days until I have 6 months salary to start.

1. I have 10k that someone gave me to invest in starting my business but Im worried its not enough. How do I get past the first 30 to 45 turn around on cash flow.
2. With finances scarce, how do I supply myself with the appropriate stock and parts to last till the first turn around is over.
3. How do I find reliable employees (this one is hard)
Where I am from there are three main companies that do the type of refrigeration I do. 1. The Stellar Group 2. Alta Refrigeration 3. Kelly Refrigeration Services. One of these I was currently employed at. Out of all the service techs there would be only two from my company that I could trust not to bankrupt me with warranty calls, the others are, sad to say, worthless and to top it of inexperienced. The problem is that due to concern #1 I dont think that I can afford them at the start. I also cant provide them the 40 hour guarantee.
4. As I work nights that will leave a 10 hour period that I will not be avaliable for an emergency, which in refrigeration happens quite a bit. Now this goes back to problem #3.

If i can think of more problems I will post them later but for now thats it. I know that all you business owners have been thru morre struggles than most so Im leaning on you all for good advice, I need it. I am loosing sleep over this.

·
Administrator
947 Posts
Go to your potential customers. And get signed maintanence agreement contracts. And quit your night job.

After you have 50 to 60 hours of work a week. Hire an employee, and push more contracts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I Agree

Service Contracts are for sure going to be your best bet at getting the cash flow going... The longer the contract the more money they pay you up front for services delivered down the road... Don't get lazy on the hiring process because your first few guys will either make you or break you... Interview 40 guys to hire one... Pay them well and treat them like family and you will have a winning formula!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
To find reliable employees, talk to others. Often other contractors in the same field will know good quality people looking for work that are responsible and trustworthy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts