HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious as to what particular methods of air flow measurement other guys use to ensure proper CFM on spring A/C Tune Ups.

Seems when the time comes you need every second you can grab just to keep up with the volume of calls. Air flow measurements can slow a guy down if he isn't as nimble as others at using the instruments and interpreting the results.

I am trying to find a way to tweak my own procedure as I go to each register and take a volometer reading. The sum of all the airflow tells what the system is doing.

Anybody got some time saving tips?

·
Administrator
970 Posts
I don't include a room by room air flow check with a standard PM/MA.

Just a check at the air handler/furnace itself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I take 4 static readings before and after fillter and evap. I have some general blower charts from NCI training I went through if MFG chart is not avalable. If a problem then I will go further.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Carrier makes an r-22 superheat calculator, that also has an airflow measurement on it. Not sure if their 410a has one on it or not.

·
Administrator
970 Posts
Double check that air flow chart.
It may be for a TXV system.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hvaclover
I am only curious but how much do you charge for your a/c tune ups and what else do you include.
what are of detroit do you work in most often

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i leave that all behind when i come here same as all the other guys in my generation.

Why do you have an interest in me and not one of the other pros?

it's no secret I am not the most approachable guy on this forum. Makes me suspicious when someone i have not established a rapport with asks such personal stuff.

·
Administrator
970 Posts
Either because no one else checks room CFM on a PM/MA check.

OR, he has a thing about being bitten in the neck. :laughing:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i check CFM on all my annal inspections. And if i have to pull a blower wheel I lube the shaft with Vaseline before i put it in.:001_tongue:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You attrack the golth people.

Goths are intellectual burn outs who do nothing but play music, chain smoke and generally don't give a poop about anything. Vampire Covens consist of bright, energetic, gainfully employed guys and girls who role play a romantic version of the vampire life style.

ME? I just dig the hell out Christopher Lee, and have since I saw him in the original Dracula.

I use his avatar cause I like the guy:yes:

·
Administrator
970 Posts
goths are intellectual burn outs who do nothing but play music, chain smoke and generally don't give a poop about anything. Vampire covens consist of bright, energetic, gainfully employed guys and girls who role play a romantic version of the vampire life style.

Me? I just dig the hell out christopher lee, and have since i saw him in the original dracula.

I use his avatar cause i like the guy:yes:
lol...

·
North of 52
122 Posts
I don't do CFM measurements. Not because they are not important but most of the ductwork I see is not properly sized so what is the point of checking CFM. If the equipment is working properly and the customer is satisfied I leave well enough alone. I can customize the equipment so it performs well, is not too noisy etc. Most techs don't know how to do CFM checks anyway. Unless there is a huge problem we reuse the existing ductwork and make it work. Lots of it was originally from oil furnaces and is large. We don't get more than 50% RH so dehumidification is not a huge concern.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We are in a similar situation with duct but not so much from oil but more from 135,000 btu furnaces and duct installed in 950 square foot houses!
With new customers we do a comfort concern and if there is no problem with circulation as far as the customer is concerned then we dont do a full scale balance.
In Swartz Creek MI, there is an Amana dealer, Garno Brothers. Brian Garno has a side buisness from his main buisness and all he does is air flow balancing. he does it for residential and commercial and if you have any questions about balancing and any possible shortcuts or procedures I strongly recomend that you contact him.
He is always happy to help other dealers/techs and will share any info he has with you. He is also heavy into combustion analasis.
Scooter

·
Registered
24 Posts
As a NCI certified tech. I check every job with my testo 510. I do this so i KNOW EXACT cfm and can then sell the homeowner on the ductwork repairs. I all so carry the more advanced testo 435 meter and only use the tsi hood on major balancing and testng reports.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As a NCI certified tech. I check every job with my testo 510. I do this so i KNOW EXACT cfm and can then sell the homeowner on the ductwork repairs. I all so carry the more advanced testo 435 meter and only use the tsi hood on major balancing and testng reports.

You check every job? Is that on your time or on the customer's time? Sounds pretty expensive when the customer wants to pay as little as possible if at all for a preseason start up.

None of the companies I have ever worked for want to do much more than look at the filter and start the unit up and check the charge on a preseason, unless it is an actual service contract. One of th elast places I worked had a $49 preseason special in the tv guide section of the local paper, for that price the boss wanted us to say hi and look at the unit for a possible sales call referral.

·
Registered
24 Posts
how long does it take to drill 2 to 4 1/4 inch holes and place my digital gage in each of the holes while the system is cooling less then 5 min.
in that amount of time I will know actual readings of air flow and be able to tell the homeowner wherer actual problems are by comparing readings.
I think I would have the upper hand with the homeowner compared to those how dont do it. I tell the homeowner the static pressure test is like checking the human bodys blood pressure to determine sickness. You could add an extra 5 min time explaining trhat to the homeowner so to sell them on duct repairs. being that I am my own Boss and sales man,,I can spend the exrta 5 10 min with the homeowner.

·
Serv. tech
77 Posts
how long does it take to drill 2 to 4 1/4 inch holes and place my digital gage in each of the holes while the system is cooling less then 5 min.
in that amount of time I will know actual readings of air flow and be able to tell the homeowner wherer actual problems are by comparing readings.
I think I would have the upper hand with the homeowner compared to those how dont do it. I tell the homeowner the static pressure test is like checking the human bodys blood pressure to determine sickness. You could add an extra 5 min time explaining trhat to the homeowner so to sell them on duct repairs. being that I am my own Boss and sales man,,I can spend the exrta 5 10 min with the homeowner.
4¼" holes, what are you putting in there?:laughing: http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Products/Product.cfm?Group_ID=78&sPageName=Specs

1 - 20 of 30 Posts