HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ask for some advise. I have been asked to enclose/conceal an AC compressor unit at a residence. It is a bit of an eyesore. From what I have read, the requirements for airflow into and out of the unit for heat dissipation and efficiency make such enclosures frowned upon by HVAC pro's. ...but they really want it done.

What I was hoping to make was a five sided cube with louver's on the sides and top, the louvers on the sides being angled like on a window shutter, the ones on the top being vertical to allow maximum exhaust ventilation.  I was hoping to have the sides @ 6-8" from the sides and top.

Is this a very, very bad idea?

·
Registered
4 Posts
outdoor unit enclosure

In our area on the islands we are forced to have to put enclosures around outdoor units on certain properties such as a corner of a block where you can see it from the street for permitting reasons. I would never advocate to install them if you have a choice. Louvers are better than what a lot of people do around here which is cedar or vinyl lattice but once again we do not have a choice. The further the distance away from the unit the better for efficiency reasons. It all depends on your allowable air openings between louvers and distance from the unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never enclose a condenser if you have the choice. Read the installation instructions. Most require 18"-24" clearance on all sides and 48" above.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When automation system enclosures are installed in industrial facilities and plants, cooling and/or heating thermal management systems are often required. These systems protect the automation components installed therein from temperature extremes and moisture buildup. Consistent temperatures are required to ensure optimal operating conditions. Otherwise, cyclic broad temperature fluctuations may significantly reduce the life expectancy of electronic components.

Enclosure thermal management systems provide the required operating conditions through the use of heaters, fans, heat exchangers, air conditioners, vortex coolers, thermoelectric coolers, thermostats, hygrostats, and other components.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A/C is a complicated system. However, if you redo your air conditioning system, you will see tremendous benefits. Hot temperatures damage the compressor and tank, which means they require regular service. Your A/C unit has outlets, but they are usually in the wrong locations and cut off electricity to the room where the A/C is installed. Anyway, I decided to buy a new modern A/C. I was helped by the guys from cheap aircon servicing to establish it. The guys did a great job and explained to me how it's all working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts