HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I am a few years late to the conversation, but hopefully this still gets read.

It is a pretty common thing seeing guys getting ahead of themselves and doing things the quickest and easiest way possible, and just as common to see at ppthe same time how things can not go the way you think it would, like putting the torch to a line assuming there it isn't holding any pressure and suddenly find out it still has a little pressure on it. Best thing to do is use a recovery machine to pull and collect the freon left on the lines before opening it up to the atmosphere, but they take a little more time to use and many techs dont even carry them in their service van if they even own one, so next best thing is like a few already mentioned, cut the lines loose instead of using the torch, using tubing cutters preferably because it doesn't create metal shavings like a saw does, that way you reduce the risk of burning down the customers home or place of business, and you reduce the risk of causing any injury to yourself and those around you. With a good tubing cutter, it takes about the same amount of time as a torch would and alot lighter to carry especially if it's up in a tight attic. Even though you'll have to eventually carry the torch there when you go to brazen in the lines to the new coil, but isnt that what an apprentice is for? Lol
Basically though, with all the reasons regarding the use of a vacume pump while using a torch and pulling moisture into the line aside, there are alot of ways to get injured or injure the people around you as it is, so the safest way is usually always the best way to go so everyone can go home to their family at the end of the day and putting an open flame to a possibly still pressurised copper line that has a flammable substance inside with the intention of releasing that pressurised flammable oil doesn't really seem like the safest thing to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What Are the Symptoms of Refrigerant Poisoning?
Mild exposure to refrigerants is generally harmless. Poisoning is rare except in cases of abuse or exposure in a confined space. Symptoms of mild to moderate poisoning include:

irritation of the eyes, ears, and throat
headache
nausea
vomiting
frostbite (liquid Freon)
cough
chemical burn to the skin
dizziness

·
Registered
7 Posts
So this is just up for discussion , yeah: any ways I think it’s from 2010. It was a mistake; obviously everybody should know you can’t really solder sealed anything. It’s gonna build heat and pressure especially if it had freon in it. So ya pump it down to 0Psi :lock your valves down to seal it in the compressor; then you remove shrader valves , connect nitrogen to the liquid port and leave suction with no valve open. Do what ya gotta do without the torch for the piping. Bleed nitro during brazing and always replace filter dryer after opening system to the atmosphere. Then purge nitrogen, triple evac and release new freon.
That being said: my first service call was tenant put a nail in the line set hanging something. I practiced with the torch and had a fire Matt and extinguisher. I was a cocky prick who thought he knew what he was doing until the whole wall caught up from the torch and oil. Big issue, I got lucky. Step by step. Patience. This is a high paying job but ya gotta know your shit and be strict on the safety always.
As far as burning oil I believe the proper order of things negats the issue. Thanks

21 - 24 of 24 Posts