Compressor replacement question - Commercial HVAC Forum - HVACSite

Compressor replacement question

Old 06-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #1

Trade: New HVAC Tech

Compressor replacement question

I am replacing a compressor in a 7.5 ton rooftop. Still fairly new to trade, used to working for someone else not myself. Usually use compressor straight from manufacturer but client looking to save some money.. Could I use a different brand with same specs? It's a trane cshc075k0a00 3 phase r 22 scroll

Seems like straight from trane it's 2200 but there's a Copeland ZR94KC-TFD-950 Scroll for almost 1k cheaper.

Sorry for such a basic question but trying crossing ts and dotting is while building business.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. HVACSite.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #2

Trade: HVAC

Re: Compressor replacement question

you have to call into different distributors and see what they have to match up with the specs you have. otherwise I would recommend going with the same replacement to save yourself some problems down the line.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #3

Trade: HVAC

you have to call other companies or vendors and tell them the specs you have to see what they offer for a replacement. I would recommend using the same tho. good luck
Old 08-11-2016, 06:53 AM   #4

Trade: airtrackinc

try to get touch with the Local Contractor in your area
Old 09-26-2016, 07:44 AM   #5

Trade: HVAC Contractor

Boss just go with the spec's for the new brand on your change out. make sure they use the same POE oils / metering device and change the filter. if theres anything else that is specific to that brand thats in the line set of the old compressor that doesn't match up just change it so that it matches.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #6

Trade: hvacr

Never ever ever use an aftermarket compressor in a Trane product! I'm not a Trane promoter in any way, but Trane compressors are unique and specifically designed for the Trane equipment. You are asking for trouble in more ways than one. Your customer will not benefit from this change in any way!

On a second note, don't cheap out just because you're working for yourself. Don't be the cheapest guy in town. The race to the bottom has no winners. Provide superior service and charge what you're worth! Your customers will appreciate that!

-Eric
Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #7

Trade: airtrackinc

Residential compressors in air conditioners and heat pumps are hermetically sealed and it is impossible to take them apart and check for a bad piston or bearing or check the oil level. With any compressor failure you can have either a mechanical failure or an electrical failure. Since the compressor has an electric motor inside of it and because it has mechanical components inside of it an understanding of how each type of compressor works will help you understand the compressor and different things that can go wrong with the compressor.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #8

Trade: Hvac

Thanks for sharing this information.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #9

Trade: HVAC Contractor

You don't need to call anyone boss. All u have to do is make sure your specs are the same as the old compressor. Then check if the Evap, Condensing unit, and Txv are all sized right for that new compressor size and have the right refrigerant for the txv that going to be compressed by the compressor. Most of the time if the specs match from a different brand. it should be ok but check those specifications and you will be fine.