Why Does My Air Conditioner Have A Bad Smell?

Old 08-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #1

Trade: heating and air conditioning

Why Does My Air Conditioner Have A Bad Smell?

While you run the air conditioner, all you need is to experience pleasant, cold air coming into your house. If an unpleasant scent is laced with the cold air, however, it tends to spoil the fresh sensation. Pointless to say, you need to do away with the scent as quickly as feasible. Examine the reasons behind distinct A/C smells and a way to repair them.

Why Does My Air Conditioner Smell Like Mold?
As the most common scent accompanying cold air from an A/C unit, a moldy odor indeed indicates mildew or fungus is developing in or around the air conditioner. Itís truly not that sudden. After all, similarly to cooling the air in your home, air conditioners additionally eliminate excess moisture. If itís no longer drained away properly, the mold may also start to develop in regions with lingering moisture. Even a grimy filter can cause the scent of mildew to waft from supply registers. Hire an expert to clean your air conditioner, update the screen, and cast off the mold odor.

Why Does My Air Conditioner Smell Like Rotten Eggs?
A dead animal is the most common reason of a rotten, spoiled egg scent coming from the air vents. An injured or sick fowl or rodent might also have climbed inside an air duct in the course of the winter in which it died and began decomposing. Then, while you turn on your A/C for the first time within summer, a stinky smell ruins the effect of cooling air coming into your house. You need to have your ducts professionally cleaned to wipe out any rodent remains.

Why Does My Air Conditioner Smell Like Sewage?
This smell can be emanating from a backed up sewer line or ruptured sewer vent pipe near the duct device. All it takes is a little methane gasoline from the sewage leak to get into the duct work, and your entire home can also smell like a sewer. Methane gas is risky, so if you smell a sewage odor, contact an HVAC technician at once to look at the issue.

Why Does My Air Conditioner Smell Like Feet?
A dirty, clogged air conditioner might also emit a stinky toe smell. This is due to stagnant water that collects in the machine and isnít drained away well. An intensive cleansing by way of a professional should be sufficient to remedy the problem.

Why Does My Air Conditioner Smell Like Skunk?
This scent could be resulting from a lifeless skunk in or around the duct work, but thatís not very likely. Whatís much more likely is that fuel is leaking from somewhere. Methyl mercaptan from the fuel leak, which smells very much like skunk spray, may be entering the duct work and circulating your property. If this happens, it can endanger your family. Get out of the house and speak to an HVAC technician and your fuel organization right away.

Why Does My Air Conditioner Smell Like Gun Powder?
A shorted out circuit board or fan motor might also send a gun powder smell out of the supply registers while the air conditioner initially cycles on. An expert can take a look at your machine and recommend replacing aging components if necessary.

Why Does My Air Conditioner Smell Like Exhaust Fumes?
Your air conditioner is powered by way of electricity, no longer gasoline, but the engine and some other components have fluids inside which can leak out. If this occurs, the odor of exhaust fumes may permeate your home. To prevent a harmful situation from growing, have the A/C fixed as soon as feasible.

Schedule air conditioning repair in the greater Philadelphia, Bucks and Montgomery County, PA area with HVAC Philly.
In case your air conditioner smells like mildew, rotten eggs, sewage, feet, skunk, gun powder, or exhaust fumes, you simply need air conditioning repair. To schedule an appointment, please contact HVAC Philly.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. HVACSite.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-10-2017, 01:30 AM   #2

Trade: airtrackinc

Re: Why Does My Air Conditioner Have A Bad Smell?

A musty or “dirty sock” smell, which is usually caused by mold, mildew and bacteria buildup inside the system. A rotten egg smell, which usually means you have a pest problem or a dead animal in your A/C system