Trane R22 Heat Pump High head pressure

Old 05-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Trade: residentrial hvac contractor

Trane R22 Heat Pump High head pressure

Hello
Forum
First off , thanks to the many knowledgeable technicians, contractors, and service people on this site.
Friday I ran into a heat pump call that threw me. Trane 10 yr old split system R22 high efficiency with txv in both sections.,In the cooling mode The head press, shot up to 410 psi. the suction press. 48 psi. the super heat was 40 degrees . the amp draw 4.8 on the comp. the outdoor fan motor was bringing plenty of air across the coil. The reverse-valve would not shift if I removed 24 volts off O terminal. I thought reverse valve problem or restriction somewhere. Any suggestion or reccomendations?

Thanks
heatme

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. HVACSite.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #2

Trade: Service/Installation

Re: Trane R22 Heat Pump High head pressure

Sounds like a restriction or the indoor TXV's power head lost its charge. And someone added gas to it to try and get the suction pressure up.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #3

Trade: furnace and ac technician

high head and low suction? low suction is often low air flow. might have a charge problem and an air flow issue
Old 05-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

Trade: residentrial hvac contractor

ok
I told customer the that it was prossible restriction and the txv was bad and i would have to replace so I could further diagnose the unit.she okayed and relaced txv, nitro press. test ok then pulled deep vaccum. Weigh in freon unit performing like champ. Yea, I understand why you use been there.
Thanks
heatme
Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #5

Trade: Service/Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatme View Post
ok
I told customer the that it was prossible restriction and the txv was bad and i would have to replace so I could further diagnose the unit.she okayed and relaced txv, nitro press. test ok then pulled deep vaccum. Weigh in freon unit performing like champ. Yea, I understand why you use been there.
Thanks
heatme
I beat my head against more then one wall in the past, and once in a while still.