HELP!: Heat Pump Heating not working

Old 10-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #1

Trade: HVAC Commercial/Residential EPA Univ Cert

HELP!: Heat Pump Heating not working

I am diagnosing a heat pump. The customer said it worked great during the cooling season, but when she turned the thermostat to heating, the thermostat started smoking. I took off the cover to the thermostat, jumpered the red with yellow, ac worked great, then jumpered red with white, and started sparking alot so i couldnt keep it that way because i felt the transformer and it was getting very hot. Please help! Any ideas??

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. HVACSite.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
Techseabreeze

Trade: Residential Heating and Cooling New Instalations and Repair

Re: HELP!: Heat Pump Heating not working

If your transformer became very hot it most likely took out the windings. Transformers should have a 3 amp. max. fuse inline with the Red wire just as it leaves transformer to prevent something like this from happening. Sounds to me you are needing to repair wiring, thermostat and replace the transformer. Better get some fuses and prevent the possibility again as you find the reason for thermostat shorting. Good Luck
Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Energy mover

Trade: tech, instructor

if your trans is working fine between r and Y then it's not likely the transformer. if it was it would be doing that with r to g, r to y and r to w. it sound like there is a short in the W wire shorting the circuit to ground.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #4

Trade: service tech/install

Is it a Rheem or Ruud heat pump? If you jump R and Y and got AC without energizing the reversing valve you will have to get 24v to your reversing valve for heating mode. A heat pump thermostat energizes Y on any initial call for cooling or heat. The W terminal is the second call for heat.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #5

Trade: Retired

I have a Dayton heat pump, made by Rheem/Ruud (I think) and have recently installed a new Tempstar touch screen programmable thermostat. The thermostat is rated 2 heat and one cooling. My primary heat source is oil forced air upflow furnace with the heat pump added later with a fossil fuel kit installed. The system has worked great with a Maple/Chase 9721 programmable thermostat for years but the clock portion of the screen lost several of the numbers so I had to replace it. Everything works fine except I can't get the reversing valve to switch to heating. When the stat calls for heat the furnace comes on. I have all the schematics, thermostat, fossil fuel kit and heat pump. What would you charge me to review the schematics and provide me a solution to my problem? I could Fax or mail copies to you. There is no rush, although I am spending more to heat the house than I need to.

Thanks,

Joe Clemmons
Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #6

Trade: service man man man

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon670 View Post
i am diagnosing a heat pump. The customer said it worked great during the cooling season, but when she turned the thermostat to heating, the thermostat started smoking. I took off the cover to the thermostat, jumpered the red with yellow, ac worked great, then jumpered red with white, and started sparking alot so i couldnt keep it that way because i felt the transformer and it was getting very hot. Please help! Any ideas??
thats basice service work man go home
Old 12-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #7

Trade: heating,cooling,refrigeration

well if you did not take out transformer, If you are trying to get the heat pump to work and you get the ac to work in cooling mode by jumping r to y then you need to jump r,g,y,(o,b) connections. But it does sound like the short is on the w connection so the wire is either shorted or you have bad relay. Put a fuse in line and try again.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #8

Trade: lisensed contractor

Take the thermostat wires off at the unit then check the white to ground. If you get continuity it is in the wire if not it is probably in the upstream wiring or controls. I have seen people install new t-stats and run a screw into the wires.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #9

Trade: air conditioning heating plumbing
Red face

If in doubt ohm it out. Gotta be a bad white wire.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #10

Trade: air conditioning heating plumbing
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclemmojoe View Post
I have a Dayton heat pump, made by Rheem/Ruud (I think) and have recently installed a new Tempstar touch screen programmable thermostat. The thermostat is rated 2 heat and one cooling. My primary heat source is oil forced air upflow furnace with the heat pump added later with a fossil fuel kit installed. The system has worked great with a Maple/Chase 9721 programmable thermostat for years but the clock portion of the screen lost several of the numbers so I had to replace it. Everything works fine except I can't get the reversing valve to switch to heating. When the stat calls for heat the furnace comes on. I have all the schematics, thermostat, fossil fuel kit and heat pump. What would you charge me to review the schematics and provide me a solution to my problem? I could Fax or mail copies to you. There is no rush, although I am spending more to heat the house than I need to.

Thanks,

Joe Clemmons
R u sure you got the heat pump wired right. Sometimes u gotta have the blue wire instead of orange. Try heat when reversing valve is energized.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #11

Trade: Furnace Repairs

Similar clients have had this same issue, and the problem turned out to be the transformer.

You can view more furnace repairs or visit this website for more information.

Last edited by WoodyH; 11-27-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #12

Trade: sales, service, and instalation all hvac equiptment?rheem dealer

I can't comprehend that this is a transformer problem...truth of the matter is..this is troubleshooting 101. any real tech could diagnose this problem in less than 5 min with an ohm meter. After you change the transformer and it still won't work, then call a tech. (hint....aux heat relay coil or wire)