flue penetration through an outside wall - HVAC Codes and Certifications - HVACSite

flue penetration through an outside wall

Old 07-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #1

Trade: HVAC and Plumbing

flue penetration through an outside wall

Ok so this has been bugging me all week... I am working on a 32 unit apartment building. Earlier this week I flued out the boilers so they could have hot water. The boilers sit up against an outside wall so I took the vent up as high as I could, and 90'd straight out. I have 2 concerns...

In the international mechanical code it says that no vent can terminate less than 5 vertical feet above the glue collar of the appliance.

Also I scoured my code books to find where it states how far I need to poke out the wall with the flue. I found NOTHING.

Any advise would be appreciated. I been wracking my brains over this... There was another similar project that our company did before I came on board, they did the same thing and it passed inspection. I'm not worried about passing, I want it done right... I only had enough room for a 12" b-vent then my 90 before I lost my clearance to combustable material. Then I used a 2' length to penetrate the wall and the cap is about 6" away from the wall. Mind you, the mechanical room is on the first floor, and there are 2 more floors above it before the eaves. I'm not worried about heat going up and hitting the eaves, but coming up against the siding and warping it. We get a lot of snow and ice so I can't poke out past the eaves or it will get damaged when ice cicles fall on it... Am I ok?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. HVACSite.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #2

Trade: Service/Installation

Re: flue penetration through an outside wall

Do the boilers have power vent fans on them? If not, then you can't vent them like you described.

Vent termination would need to be above the roof. 2' above anything within 10' horizontal of it.

Check the IFGC book.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #3

Trade: 1711

Re: flue penetration through an outside wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Do the boilers have power vent fans on them? If not, then you can't vent them like you described.

Vent termination would need to be above the roof. 2' above anything within 10' horizontal of it.

Check the IFGC book.
Good advice.. Follow this