Service Magic

Old 08-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #1

Trade: Residential HVAC

Service Magic

Anyone have luck with service magic? It seems like since the economy went downhill service magic followed. I probably get 1 out of 10 install leads now My sales routine is good, I always do a manual J and I'm very thorough. Most of the leads are foreigners and those are always a bust, and the rest of them are looking for hackers to slam equipment in at cost. I think I need to find some new lead sources.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. HVACSite.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #2

Trade: Online Advertising/ Marketing

Re: Service Magic

Hello, my name is Angela Doss and I work with customer service at ServiceMagic. I apologize for your experience and would like to speak with you to find a solution for your frustrations. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss your account with us. Your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Angela Doss
adoss@servicemagic.com
Old 10-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #3

Trade: contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heating_seattle View Post
Anyone have luck with service magic? It seems like since the economy went downhill service magic followed. I probably get 1 out of 10 install leads now My sales routine is good, I always do a manual J and I'm very thorough. Most of the leads are foreigners and those are always a bust, and the rest of them are looking for hackers to slam equipment in at cost. I think I need to find some new lead sources.
I have to agree that service magic leads have been rough on me as well.
Im finding here in jersey to many just looking for a simple price with know real intenction of getting the work done.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #4

Trade: HVAC Marketing

Hi. My company actually provides 1000's of lead directly to Service Magic.

But you can skip going to them and get them directly from us.

Where are you located? My company offers a pay per call marketing program for HVAC guys. With us, you only pay per call and nothing else!

Let me know if you want to hear more about our program.

My email is matthew @ gofoo.net
Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #5

Trade: .

The dynamic of SM is to serve the home owner with multiple contractors (at potentially the lowest price because of multiple bids) to serve THEIR needs. For low margin home services categories SM may be a tough source for leads. For HVAC, 1 out of 50 (depending on your purchase price) might be enough to warrant a program with them.

With Google's emphasis on local marketing these days, you could almost rank better than SM or any other national lead gen by having a solid Places page and a website that does its job.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSlaughter View Post
The dynamic of SM is to serve the home owner with multiple contractors (at potentially the lowest price because of multiple bids) to serve THEIR needs. For low margin home services categories SM may be a tough source for leads. For HVAC, 1 out of 50 (depending on your purchase price) might be enough to warrant a program with them.

With Google's emphasis on local marketing these days, you could almost rank better than SM or any other national lead gen by having a solid Places page and a website that does its job.
Lets see at 42,00 per lead for install x 50 = $2,100.
I ll give service magic $ 2100 not to mention all the other contractors that did the same. and a heater replacement will never recoup this loss
Old 12-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #7

Trade: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmen View Post
Lets see at 42,00 per lead for install x 50 = $2,100.
I ll give service magic $ 2100 not to mention all the other contractors that did the same. and a heater replacement will never recoup this loss

The trick is to NOT pay $42 a lead.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
repj2y

Trade: State of Florida A/C Contractor; Vocational Instructor

I've done it without losing my shirt !

I actually target commercial property managers-or-residential property
managers! Any mail campaign draws @ best: less than 3% response!

Find a good post card mailer online! Mail them yourself ! Not 3000
at a time ! Keep targeting your list of prospects ! Sooner or later
their no. 1 guy screws-up and believe me; you're in ! I went from
$28,000 my first yr. to $489,000 by my 4th yr as a one man shop !

That was cumulative total ! (I also do promotional products because of that marketing system)

"My 2 cents"
Gary Clemens Another Air Conditioning Co. LLC Ft Myers, Fl.
CAC 027350
Old 12-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
repj2y

Trade: State of Florida A/C Contractor; Vocational Instructor

When you go into multi-family facilities or condos; place your
attractive service sticker on adjacent units. Bulletin boards near
the elevator work great too !

BTW: make sure your postcard is simple ! Contact number
and work guaranteed ! (that's it) NO equipment logos !
Some people have issues with trade names ! It really
is not about price! HONESTY wins everytime ! We know
there are bandit companies out there ! Don't be one !
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #10

Trade: HVAC Change Outs and Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by repj2y View Post
I've done it without losing my shirt !

I actually target commercial property managers-or-residential property
managers! Any mail campaign draws @ best: less than 3% response!

Find a good post card mailer online! Mail them yourself ! Not 3000
at a time ! Keep targeting your list of prospects ! Sooner or later
their no. 1 guy screws-up and believe me; you're in ! I went from
$28,000 my first yr. to $489,000 by my 4th yr as a one man shop !

That was cumulative total ! (I also do promotional products because of that marketing system)

"My 2 cents"
Gary Clemens Another Air Conditioning Co. LLC Ft Myers, Fl.
CAC 027350
This is very true I do my own direct mail in-house and I save a fortune... I get Co-Op from Trane and Rheem and I have better control of where the mail is going... This is a one of the cheapest ways to get business... I did service magic for a while and they had a good system but now at least here in Ft. Lauderdale they are just whores with selling the leads to as many contractors as possible... I just bought a direct mail letter folder and envelope stuffer and now I am sending out about 1,000 pieces a week. It keeps all my vans busy all week long.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #11

Trade: Master HVAC, Master Gasfitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHVAC View Post
This is very true I do my own direct mail in-house and I save a fortune... I get Co-Op from Trane and Rheem and I have better control of where the mail is going... This is a one of the cheapest ways to get business... I did service magic for a while and they had a good system but now at least here in Ft. Lauderdale they are just whores with selling the leads to as many contractors as possible... I just bought a direct mail letter folder and envelope stuffer and now I am sending out about 1,000 pieces a week. It keeps all my vans busy all week long.
Agreed. "I did service magic for a while and they had a good system but now at least here in Ft. Lauderdale they are just whores with selling the leads to as many contractors as possible". I received leads that were bogus in time frame. I received one lead and was a 1/2 mile from the call. I immediately went to the house and the homeowner explained a contractor was there an hour ago and it was fixed. The homeowner also explained they only called S.Magic. S.Magic is a total Rip off and is all over the web. We can spend all we want on advertizing but large corporations just kill the small guy internet wise.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHVAC View Post
I like that you do your own direct mail and envelope stuffing.Ill have to check into that.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #13

Trade: Vendor

I've read very mixed reactions about SM. While most of them are negative, so people do say that SM provides a big part of their revenues.

pex plumbing pipe
pex pipe
pex

Last edited by fromike; 03-03-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #14

Trade: HVAC Change Outs and Service

Don't waist your time or money... They sell the leads to three to five different contractors and they are so washed up it sucks if you are not the first person to get someone on the phone... Some people have luck with it but the leads are for the most part poor quality tire kickers looking for a steal of a deal!
Old 05-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #15

Trade: HVAC Service, Roofing contractor

I used this company a few times in the past with mixed results.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #16

Trade: Service Company

ServiceMagic, Inc is being sued for bad faith business practices along with one of their subsidiaries...
Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #17

Trade: general hvac

I would never use Service Magic. Before I ever hire a company, I let them call me several times, and get a feel for who or what they are. In their case, I got harassing calls for weeks on end, and they even hi-jacked my business name on google search results, and routed people to their site where they advertised OTHER businesses. These guys are bad news, and are bad for the industry as a whole. We don't need any middle men in this business. Don't you people realize this! Stop paying these people and they will go out of business, then the customers will call us DIRECTLY, and will most likely to call 10 other contractors.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #18

Trade: technology

Very impressive and helpful article here and rare discussions provided here, and lot of points discussed here, which I've read first time here, and hope you guys will post more articles in future to help us and make our mind brilliant.

Last edited by demon00seven; 12-12-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #19

Trade: Commercial and residential hvacr

I have been using SM for over 2.5 years. My ROI for Service Magic is astounding.

I started my business on SM and SM alone. After 3 weeks of calls I had to turn it off to catch a break. It works if you know how to maximize the benefits.

To this day I have spent less than 5000 dollars with Service Magic but have generated over $190,000.00 of extra money straight from SM leads.

You have to do it a certain way to make it profitable for you. Here are my experiences using Service Magic.

Service Leads- The service leads are great for the most part. I receive a lot of high quality leads for the repair side of Service Magic and your competition is 2 other contractors.

Install Leads- I have found the majority of these to be massive bargain shoppers. My Luck with these leads is not so great. Your competition is 4 other contractors.

My Advice to gain maximum benefit of Service Magic:

Receive service leads only, no install leads.

Make sure you have someone constantly monitoring your email and text messages, to call these customers instantly.

Recommend Blackberry Phone if you are in the field, because the email system is instant, most other phones check it every five minutes or so.

Fast response has generated more leads than waiting to call.

If you can't call them quickly than your wasting your money. When we call they are still on there computer checking the email that service magic sent them.

They are in total disbelief of how fast it works. Our response to them is "That's Why They Call It Service Magic, It's Magical"

***DO NOT overload your zip code coverage area, especially in the busy season. You don't want to pay for leads that you cant get to. But this is going to happen, but don't frown upon it.

***Hit only high money neighborhoods. Be very selective with the zip codes you choose. You know what areas can afford the cost of repair or installation. You can receive fewer leads in these areas, but the average invoice will be much higher. This will help offset the ones you miss. (My average invoice year to date is $723.00) That pretty damn good.

BE HONEST, BE CONFIDENT, BE FRIENDLY- I can't stress this enough. You don't have to rip customers off to make a living.

Every call you go on could use some sort of upgrade, modification ect. Dig and find those extra dollars. When you are honest people sense it and start to trust you.

This will help you keep you SM Leads for life. One of my first Service Magic customers is still with me today.

That $14.00 lead fee gave me a customer for life. He has multiple homes and has spent over 25,000.00 with me year to date. This is the case in most of my service magic leads, customers for life.

That is over 5 times what I have spent on Service Magic.

Don't beg for ratings. Request them once while on service call and that is it. If you really did your job you will get rated most of the time.

The ones that rate on their own with out pressure are the ones that are going to put the best reviews.

Remember- Its not the number of leads you get, it is the service location of the leads you get. High Money Areas Only.

I don't even advertise in my own community, because most here can't afford to even pay their light bill.

I hope this was helpful

Adam Brzowski
Air Conditioning Repair Kingwood Tx

Last edited by DirectComfort; 12-13-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #20
Ben Landers | HVAC SEO

Trade: HVAC Websites & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSlaughter View Post

Agreed. Being dependent on someone else for your leads is a dangerous proposition. Build a lead-generation system that YOU own. If you're growing fast and could use extra leads turn the dial on your system up (i.e. create multiple websites..., blogs, invest in more SEO, etc.). If that's still not enough, TEST a lead generation company.

NOTE: You might need someone to build your lead generation system (like an SEO or online marketing company), but whatever they build, should be something you own!