How to make money with home warranties?

Old 12-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

Trade: HVAC

How to make money with home warranties?

1st post here,

First of all I know home warranties are the devil and most steer clear from them BUT I've been with them for a while now and have done pretty good. I work on MY pay scale, I don't haggle my price and wont go out of my area. My little town is SLOW and we need the extra work. With all that being said, How do you make more $$ off of these guys? I know some that sell alot of upgrades but just not sure how they are doing it. AHS is on my behind about being over my average ticket cost which doesn't bother me but I would like to figure out how to upgrade equip to better off the customer and keep my cost down for warranty. What are some sell tactics and how do you convince a homeowner who thinks "everything is covered" to upgrade to your equip?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. HVACSite.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

Trade: Service/Installation

Re: How to make money with home warranties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboat View Post
1st post here,

First of all I know home warranties are the devil and most steer clear from them BUT I've been with them for a while now and have done pretty good. I work on MY pay scale, I don't haggle my price and wont go out of my area. My little town is SLOW and we need the extra work. With all that being said, How do you make more $$ off of these guys? I know some that sell alot of upgrades but just not sure how they are doing it. AHS is on my behind about being over my average ticket cost which doesn't bother me but I would like to figure out how to upgrade equip to better off the customer and keep my cost down for warranty. What are some sell tactics and how do you convince a homeowner who thinks "everything is covered" to upgrade to your equip?
If your tickets to them are over their allowed amount by too much. You get less calls when there are other companies available to take those calls.

If you want those AHS customers to go with upgraded equipment. You have to become a salesmen. And push hard.

Problem is, "your" equipment isn't always actually better then what AHS uses. Just going to cost the home owner more money.

AHS expects you to make your money on the code upgrades, that they don't pay for. Along with the yearly maintainence that the home owner is suppose to pay you to do.

Interview the home owner as you would any other customer. And find out what they want from their A/C and heat. then tell them about the benefits of 2 stage heat, 2 stage cooling, VS blowers.

After that remind them they can do a buy out on their AHS contract to help pay for the system your selling them.