HVAC Site - Professional HVAC Contractors Forum banner

Question for you pros, I'd like to know your opinion...

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Upton O Good 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to HVAC. Not just this site, HVAC in general. The methods and equipment, and the technical discipline fascinate me. Over the past few months I've developed a real interest. I've studied for the EPA test and will easily pass it next weekend. I've read many sites and watched videos to learn all I can about methods.

But, I'm not looking to be a contractor, just a humble homeowner do-it-yourselfer. That's the rub, and what I'd like to ask your opinion about.

Wholesale supply houses generally dont like to sell to DIY guys, and I understand why. They end up answering endless questions, and when the guy F's it up he tries to return stuff. Plus the supply house needs to please their big customers, the contractors, who dont like being undercut by some smarty-pants with a gauge set.

Besides that, its not economically wise for me to do all my own HVAC work. All the tools of the trade add up to $2000-3000. So why do it?

First, because it's in my nature. I've studied physics, electrical engineering, and a fair amount of mechanical engineering as well. I'm familiar with the Carnot graph of entropy. When I discover a new technology, I'm driven to fully understand it. It's like when you cant put down a good book, that's how I am with technology and new knowledge. (Imagine growing up with this kind of curiosity and no google. Yes I blew some things up.)

On a professional basis, I do R&D of very high-power microwave systems. They often dissipate tens of 1000s of watts, and we need new ways of cooling them. I'd like to try some of the exotic R's and design some special-purpose or custom systems. The ability to buy equipment and supplies will open all kinds of doors for my designs.

As I'm not going to be a contractor, nor do an internship, I need a way to get some real life experience. I figure the best way to learn is do my own home system, which need lots of work. I also need to supplement the central system with 3-4 additional split ductless units. And I will certainly be coming to Hvacsite.com with potentially dumb questions.

So here's what I'm curios to hear from you guys. As a DIY homeowner with a sincere interest, is there any way to avoid the resentment and lock-out from some in the pro community? Will my local Johnstone Supply shoo me away, as their web site implies? Or will they welcome the money I'm ready to spend? Will my beginner questions annoy you guys here on hvacsite? If so, how else can I learn?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
So here's what I'm curios to hear from you guys. As a DIY homeowner with a sincere interest, is there any way to avoid the resentment and lock-out from some in the pro community?

That will vary by the individual.

Will my local Johnstone Supply shoo me away, as their web site implies?

Only way to know is to go there and attempt a purchase.

Or will they welcome the money I'm ready to spend?

Varies with the store.

Will my beginner questions annoy you guys here on hvacsite?

Depends on weather or not we had our morning coffee yet. LOL

If so, how else can I learn?
Classes. And OTJT

#3 ·
Beenthere, thanks for the reply.

You said "classes". I took this suggestion to heart and looked up classes in my area. Although I already have a career I'm happy with, it's nice to have a backup in this economy. Layoffs happen, and I've got a fat mortgage. Plus I could see me doing this kind of work in semi-retirement in 10 years.

Sadly it can't happen. The Brownson Tech School in LA is 88 weeks part time and $14K tuition. (I imagine others are similar.) The money stings but not nearly as much as the commitment of time. I've got a more-than-full-time job, a wife entering medical school, 2nd job as landlord, and I'm trying to start a business in my "free" time.

Perhaps a community college has something for scientist-types like me.

Or maybe I'm destined to be an outcast. Ah well I don't mind. I acknowledge and respect the amount of practical experience required to do your jobs, which cant be learned in any book, and the sweat and blood given to the tougher repairs. In my opinion you have little to fear from the DIY guys. The body of knowledge is too vast. Its beyond their level of persistence. I work with lots of engineers with high degrees who, when it comes to real work, cant toast bread in the laboratory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.