Blended refrigerant separating - General HVAC Discussion - HVACSite

Blended refrigerant separating

Old 03-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

Trade: commercial hvac

Blended refrigerant separating

I recently came across a cooler not keeping temp. It had a box section and a rail section with 2 stats and 2 solenoid. It had 1 compressor and charged with 24 oz of 404. Box temp was good, rail wasn't. T stat was calling, solenoid had power. My pressures were good also. A previous tech left a dye sticker on the unit indicating a leak at some point. My boss believes that the unit had a leak and the refrigerant separated due to the fact that 404 is a blend. Theory being only one gas leaks thus altering the refrigerant blend. Any truth or input?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. HVACSite.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #2

Trade: commercial hvac

Re: Blended refrigerant separating

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylpereira View Post
I recently came across a cooler not keeping temp. It had a box section and a rail section with 2 stats and 2 solenoid. It had 1 compressor and charged with 24 oz of 404. Box temp was good, rail wasn't. T stat was calling, solenoid had power. My pressures were good also. A previous tech left a dye sticker on the unit indicating a leak at some point. My boss believes that the unit had a leak and the refrigerant separated due to the fact that 404 is a blend. Theory being only one gas leaks thus altering the refrigerant blend. Any truth or input?

Also the evap were cold plates (no fan). I left it with the theory that the evap was partially frozen. I turned down a pegged stat and told them to leave it unplugged for 24 hours. I haven't heard back.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #3

Trade: 18 years experience with commercial HVAC systems, supermarket refrigeration, ice machines, restaurant equipment, residential HVAC, process piping, chillers

Re: Blended refrigerant separating

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylpereira View Post

Check to make sure you are properly charged first, clean condenser coil, then check superheat on the rail evaporator coil. Could be a bad TXV. Since you only have 24 oz of R404a you may test your boss's theory by recovering the remaining refrigerant which will tell you if you were charged correctly to begin with. Replace the filter drier and triple evacuate with nitrogen. Charge to nameplate with virgin R404a. See what's going on after that.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk