Equipment mark up

Old 03-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #1

Trade: Chuck

Equipment mark up

I just received the 2012 price list from my supply house, I am looking to see if there is a standard mark up or recommended mark up for residential equipment. I usually use a .7 markup but I'm curious to see if there is a more used standard? Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. HVACSite.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #2

Trade: Service/Installation

Re: Equipment mark up

Varies by what the company needs.

Can be hard to get 70% on a $30,000.00 chiller
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #3

Trade: Chuck

Yes I do understand that, but i was looking for more of a general idea. I mean if the residential equipment cost me $2100 normally i would use my cost+tax/.7=$ 3258.00 so using this formula i was wondering if I was in line t=with the industry standard?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #4

Trade: Service/Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allianceairny View Post
Yes I do understand that, but i was looking for more of a general idea. I mean if the residential equipment cost me $2100 normally i would use my cost+tax/.7=$ 3258.00 so using this formula i was wondering if I was in line t=with the industry standard?

I know of no industry standard. I know of companies that only add 45% to equipment cost. An others that do 100%. Depends on how much money they want to make.

While I sell equipment. I don't sell the equipment. I sell the job. And the job will determine how much mark up I have on the equipment.

I generally prefer to be one of the higher priced guys. But in commercial, it doesn't work that way.

Do you know what you min operating cost is per day?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #5

Trade: Heating,Cooling,Plumbing,Fireplaces and Refrigeration

I think you are going in the right direction Beenthere all contractors need to know primarily what their companies cost to do business is(example: vehicles, labor, fuel, insurances, loans and so on), this will give you the mark up required to brake even then you add your desired profit onto that. It is different for every contractor.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #6

Trade: Eric Allred

Mine is a sliding scale. Really cheap stuff, or refrigerant, I do 100%. But as it gets more expensive, my multiplier goes down more and more.

Tags
equipment, mark