Traditional Distributors & New Products - HVAC Material and Products - HVACSite

Traditional Distributors & New Products

Old 02-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #1

Trade: Distribution & Contracting

Traditional Distributors & New Products

Do you feel that your traditional-style hvac distributors are good at introducing, selling, and supporting new or unique products?

If not, how could they improve?

If so, what do you think makes them good?

Examples: The ecobee thermostat, wood burning boilers, or even mini-split heat pumps

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. HVACSite.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Grilles & Registers

Trade: Grilles, Registers & Air Diffusers

Re: Traditional Distributors & New Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
Do you feel that your traditional-style hvac distributors are good at introducing, selling, and supporting new or unique products?

If not, how could they improve?

If so, what do you think makes them good?

Examples: The ecobee thermostat, wood burning boilers, or even mini-split heat pumps
The distributor is either a small mom & pop or they have been bought up by the large "who cares" buyiing groups. In most areas the distributor is doing all they can to keep the doors open, the bigger guys have counter people that really don't care nor do they have any reason to support one product or another.
It really comes down to the manufacture to make their products standout!

I could be wrong...
Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #3

Trade: Heating

That's precisely the reason so many contractors get their supplies online. I'm not going to tell the store names, but there's a few suppliers out there who are real guys who want your business and have both the tech support and good prices to win over a customer. Local stores simply stock pipes and fittings and when it comes to knowledge, they are "please call the manufacturer" guys.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Old and Grumpy

Trade: Owner, Markl and Sons Cooling and Heating, Sherman, TX

We have 4 suppliers here (Baker, Amsco, Solar, and Morrison) Three of them are pretty good, one is somewhat lackluster. Aces in Dallas also does two milk runs per week, and their staff is superb.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #5

Trade: HVAC installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
That's precisely the reason so many contractors get their supplies online. I'm not going to tell the store names, but there's a few suppliers out there who are real guys who want your business and have both the tech support and good prices to win over a customer. Local stores simply stock pipes and fittings and when it comes to knowledge, they are "please call the manufacturer" guys.
It's a sign of the times, man. When you find that supplier who knows and cares, support him. He'll support you.
And don't be afraid or hesitant about finding him online. (I'm talking to my fellow "older guys" on this one.) While it feels less personal, it might be the only place to find the knowledgeable help you need (and deserve) that' s absent more and more in the live folks hired at a dollar-over-minimum wage to "man the counter."

Last edited by HVAC Joe; 11-07-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #6

Trade: Heating tec.

What are some good on line suppliers? Please give links
And I happen to be an old guy.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #7

Trade: Ductless AC, Dehumidification, Air Filtration, Air Movers, Portable AC

We are Air Marketing Group and we give you the best of both worlds. The knowledge and expertise of large distributor with the personal support you get from a mom and pop shop. Also we have the option to purchase certain equipment on the web. Come take a look for yourself at www.amgair.com or give us a call toll free at 1-800-782-9175.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #8

Trade: Replacement Coils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeat View Post
What are some good on line suppliers? Please give links
And I happen to be an old guy.
My company (Emergent Coils) specializes in replacement coils (mostly commercial and industrial). Since it's our exclusive focus, we are very knowledgeable on the subject. We are based near Denver, but most of our business is nationwide.

We serve a lot of contractors frustrated by the high prices and slow service of buying replacement coils from the manufacturer.
http://www.emergentcoils.com
Old 06-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #9

Trade: Hvac Vendor

I use these guys a lot for PEX.
http://www.PexUniverse.com
Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #10

Trade: Hvac

For all minisplit products Ductlessaire has great prices on line set covers , brackets , and mini split equipment. Visit DuctlessAire.com and give them a call But I agree The big distributors are locked in with there buying groups and really don't work with a lot of new products that in the end save the contractor a ton of money..
Old 11-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #11

Trade: 1711

It's more than reasonable, I mean supply chain is working great if everybody does what it should do, right?